What is the equation for union and intersection?

• Thread starter Goethe10
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a foreigner studying mathematics and is seeking online resources to help them understand and solve a problem in set theory. They are having trouble due to studying math in their own language rather than English. They are looking for resources on how to find the union and intersection of sets, and have been advised to use Google for help.
Goethe10
Hello everybody.
I'm foreigner and I'm studying mathematics.
I would like to find online resources to help me understand/solve my problem, however due to fact that I'm studying math in my own language, rather than English. I have a bit of a trouble.
Here is the problem I'm trying to solve
vJLkqg1.png

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Goethe10 said:
Hello everybody.
I'm foreigner and I'm studying mathematics.
I would like to find online resources to help me understand/solve my problem, however due to fact that I'm studying math in my own language, rather than English. I have a bit of a trouble.
Here is the problem I'm trying to solve
vJLkqg1.png

Thank you

You do not have an 'equation' (which would need an '=' sign somewhere in it); you just have a problem in set theory. Your problem is easily solved just by figuring out what is ##B \cup C## and what is meant by "\". Those are notations from set theory, and can be found in many books or in many on-line sources. Google is your friend.

Goethe,

Ray Vickson is right. What you have supplied us with is not an equation.

Hello Goethe10! :smile:

Google "union and intersection". :wink:

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more variables. It usually contains numbers, symbols, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What is the purpose of an equation?

The purpose of an equation is to describe a mathematical relationship between different quantities or variables. It allows us to solve problems and make predictions based on the given information.

3. What are the different types of equations?

There are several types of equations, such as linear equations, quadratic equations, exponential equations, and trigonometric equations. Each type has its own set of rules and methods for solving.

4. What is the difference between an equation and a formula?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between variables, while a formula is a specific type of equation that contains symbols, numbers, and mathematical operations and can be used to solve a problem or calculate a value.

5. How do you solve an equation?

The method for solving an equation depends on its type, but the general steps are to isolate the variable you are solving for, perform the inverse operation on both sides of the equation, and simplify until you have the variable alone on one side and the solution on the other side.