Creationism vs Evolution

• Thread starter Canis Majoris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary: Quantum Cosmology: A Comprehensive Survey""The Large-Scale Structure of the Universe and Its Origin""A New Theory of the Universe""A Universe From Nothing""Inflation and the Origin of the Cosmic Background Radiation""Quantum Cosmology and the Anthropic Principle""The Implications of String Theory for the Origin and Evolution of the Universe""Observations of Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation support the Inflationary paradigm""Observations of Type Ia Supernovae and the Cosmic Microwave Background""The Origin of the Masses and the Cosmological Constant""
Canis Majoris
Alright, I'll start off just saying, the title really isn't my question, but it is related. I was tasked with the job of creating/giving a presentation about creationism vs evolution. Of course it isn't supposed to be about the subject as a whole, but a specific topic within that broad subject. I would love for my presentation to be about the big bang theory, but of course, that subject was taken immediately. My question is, are there any topics out there involving cosmology and/or astronomy that in some way discuss creationism vs evolution in the manner that the big bang theory does? Thank you for your time.

Space news on Phys.org
I'll be perfectly happy if someone here can help you out, but I must tell you, this is a science forum and we do not discuss crap like creationism. I realize that you are not espousing creationism, but nonetheless, read the forum rules. Creationism is banned.

phinds said:
I'll be perfectly happy if someone here can help you out, but I must tell you, this is a science forum and we do not discuss crap like creationism. I realize that you are not espousing creationism, but nonetheless, read the forum rules. Creationism is banned.

Sure, I understand. I don't want to discuss that in these forums or argue either side. I'm only wondering if there is some theory/idea out there trying to explain how the universe came to be just as the big bang theory does. I only titled this thread the way I did because that is what the presentations are supposed to try to explain. Whether it favors one view over the other doesn't matter. I'm definitely not looking to start a debate.

Canis Majoris said:
Sure, I understand. I don't want to discuss that in these forums or argue either side. I'm only wondering if there is some theory/idea out there trying to explain how the universe came to be just as the big bang theory does. I only titled this thread the way I did because that is what the presentations are supposed to try to explain. Whether it favors one view over the other doesn't matter. I'm definitely not looking to start a debate.

Right. I assumed that was your point of view and again, I'm perfectly happy if someone here can help you out. The problem is that ANY discussion that includes the word "creationism" tends to bring crackpots to this site, which is why it is banned.

cosmic background radiation , redshift ect are all good as they prove the universe is expanding thus proving a beginning thus (in a way) proving the big bang. But by proving inflation they also lead to the fact that at t=0 our math breaks down. and that according to our standard model with higgs interaction the universe should be about the size of a football.

Is there not a cosmology portal on wikipaedia? That should be invaluable

Oh, and welcome to Physics Forums :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Canis Majoris said:
Alright, I'll start off just saying, the title really isn't my question, but it is related. I was tasked with the job of creating/giving a presentation about creationism vs evolution. Of course it isn't supposed to be about the subject as a whole, but a specific topic within that broad subject...

Well there is research going on in a comparatively unpublicized alternative that could be called "Big Bounce" theory.

It's fairly new. Several tens of researchers have gotten interested in recent years, most of them became active in the field after 2006. Roughly on the order of a hundred or so researchers scattered around the world, many in Europe and North America but also some in China, India, South America.

The idea is that if you have a universe similar to ours in its most basic physics except CONTRACTING rather than expanding then if you model that ignoring quantum effects it would just "crunch" down to where the model fails and no longer gives finite answers.

But if you modify the math so as to include quantum effects in your cosmic model (the general research field is called QUANTUM COSMOLOGY) many of the researchers have found a curious thing happens: the models predict a BOUNCE.

At very high density, at extreme concentration of matter and energy, quantum effects may take over (according to many of the QC models) and in effect make gravity repel rather than attract. The models show a rebound which results in an expanding universe which quickly comes to resemble what "Big Bang" models describe.

Here are 500 or so research papers that have appeared in the Quantum Cosmology (QC) field since 2009. They have been ranked so that the most often cited papers come first---those that have been most influential and been referred to by other researchers are listed first. So the first 50 or so are in some sense most representative of where QC research is going.

http://inspirehep.net/search?ln=en&...search=Search&sf=&so=d&rm=citation&rg=25&sc=0

You can see the first paper was cited 136 time, the second was referenced in 101 other research articles, and so on. So the first 25 or 50 papers show you what the dominant or prevailing ideas in the QC field are currently.

Actually the field goes back at least to 2001 but some of the earlier ideas fizzled or didn't get picked up on by the research community. A new model appeared around 2006 that has considerable success. An Indian-born physicist named Abhay Ashtekar, at Penn State Universty, and his team, were primarily responsible for that. Their model works both in computer simulations and by setting up and solving equations. Both ways show a bounce.

Notice that as far as concerns deep philosophical questions of EXISTENCE this cosmic model just kicks the can down the road.

It doesn't say "how time began" if indeed time ever had a beginning. It doesn't tell us "why existence exists". It doesn't say what there was "before" there was space and matter.

It just says that quantum effects at extreme energy concentration prevent the formation of a "singularity" and instead cause a bounce. It says that one reasonable explanation for the start of expansion of the world we see around us could be a bounce by a contracting phase.

So time and space and matter did not begin 13.8 billion years ago according to that model. There was the same kind of stuff before the current expansion started. You might say it makes the "Big Bang" a bit less awesome.

If for some reason this line of theoretical model building interests you, ask some more questions and I or someone else will see if there are some popular articles online about it. I suppose I could google "Ashtekar big bounce" or "Ashtekar popular bounce cosmology".
I think he has written a few magazine articles or given a few interviews. So if you want non-technical material presenting big bounce cosmology it is probably available somewhere online.

But the main body of what has been written recently on it is what you get in that link I gave earlier. It is a keyword search of recent research articles.

1. What is the difference between Creationism and Evolution?

Creationism is the belief that the universe and all living things were created by a divine being, while evolution is the scientific theory that explains the gradual development and diversification of species over time through natural selection.

2. Can Creationism and Evolution coexist?

This is a topic of much debate. Some people believe that they can coexist, while others see them as fundamentally opposed. There are some who believe in a combination of the two, such as theistic evolution, which suggests that a divine being guided the process of evolution.

3. Is evolution just a theory?

While the word "theory" is often used colloquially to mean a guess or hypothesis, in science it means an explanation that is supported by a vast amount of evidence and has been extensively tested. Therefore, evolution is considered a scientific theory and is widely accepted by the scientific community.

4. How does the scientific evidence support evolution?

There are numerous lines of evidence that support the theory of evolution, including the fossil record, DNA analysis, and observations of natural selection in action. These pieces of evidence all point to the conclusion that species have changed and diversified over time.

5. Can evolution explain the complexity of life?

Yes, evolution can explain the complexity of life through the process of natural selection. This process allows for small, incremental changes over time that can result in the development of complex structures and systems. Additionally, evolution does not claim that all species are at their peak complexity, but rather that they are constantly changing and adapting to their environment.