Thermal Physics problem: Van der Waals

In summary, the expression that relates T and V in a process where the entropy S is constant is found by using the thermodynamic identity dS=(1/t)dU + (p/v)dV. After fixing a typo, the expression is simplified and integrated along the line of constant S. Using the ideal gas law and basic calculus, the correct expression is found to be -2dT = (T/V)dV, which can then be integrated to get the final expression for Vf=Vi/16.
mmedrano8
1. Find an expression that relates T and V in a process in which the entropy S is constant, by doing the following:

a) From thermodynamic identity dS=(1/t)dU + (p/v)dV
find the expression for dS as a function of T and V (and dT and dV).

b) Integrate the expression found in (a) along the line of constant S.

Homework Equations

I tried to use the equation of state for a Van der Waals gas

p=(NkT)/V-a(N^2/V^2)

a is constant
its energy as a function of temperature and volume is given by
U(T,V)=2NkT-a(N^2/V)

If you could give any hints that would be great!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mmedrano8 said:
1. Find an expression that relates T and V in a process in which the entropy S is constant, by doing the following:

a) From thermodynamic identity dS=(1/t)dU + (p/v)dV

That equation is dimensionally inconsistent and therefore wrong.

But it's just one letter aaway from right so is probably a typo. Anyway, fix it.

Are you allowed to assume an ideal gas?

I took a a snapshot of the problem to be more specific

Attachments

• 20131124_125141.jpg
    20131124_125141.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 439
As noted by rude man, the equation given for dS is incorrect. Since the equation is just a simple rearrangement of the first law (with dQ = T dS), you can see how to fix it.

To proceed with the problem, you will need to use the expression for U and find it's differential dU in terms of dT and dV.

OK.
You're given U(T,V) and dS = 1/T dU + p/V dV
so taking dU is just basic calculus. N, k and a are constants.

Warning: I've carried this thru to dS = 0 in terms of T and V but I wind up with an expression that I can't integrate (tried separation of parts, couldn't do it). Someone else help!

Last edited:
ok so thermodynamic identity --> dS=(1/T)dU + (p/T)dV

mmedrano8 said:

Good.

What does this expression for dS become after substituting for dU and simplifying?

Likes 1 person
mmedrano8 said:

Hey, how come everyone except I caught the misstatement in the problem? Now I got to start over ... :

I hope at least U(T,V) is given correctly. Someone else want to check dimensions?

Still can't seem to separate variables though ...

ok dU=(∂U/∂T)dT + (∂U/∂V)dV --> dU = 2NKdT + aN^2(1/V^2)dV

I plug in P and dU into dS = (1/T)dU + (P/T)dV

I get...

dS = (1/T)[2NkdT + a(N^2)/(V^2)dV] + (NKT/V - (aN^2)/(V^2))/T)dV

please correct me if I am wrong but since S is constant, then dS equals 0,
therefore the lefthand side is 0, we separate the varibales for dT and dV and simplify
i get
-2dT=(T/V)dV
integrate both parts and solve for Vf --> Vf=Vi/16

Thanks so much guys!

Congartulations! Would you (or TSny or whoever) mind posting how you did the separation of variables? I couldn't do it. :blushing:

EDIT: never mind, I hadn't noticed two terms canceling each other, leaving only 2 terms to be separated.

Good show!

Last edited:
i forgot a step, -2dT = (T/V)dV --> (-2/T)dT=(1/V)dV
but i separated varibles by putting all T's and V's on opposite sides of the equation

-(1/T)[2NkdT] = (1/T)[a(N^2)/(V^2) + NKT/V - (aN^2)/(V^2))/T)dV

simplify a bit...
2NkdT = (NKT/V)dV

2dT = (T/V)dV

(2/T)dT = (1/v)dV then integrate both sides ---> 2ln(Tf/Ti) = ln(Vf/Vi) , where Tf = 4Ti , 2ln(4) = ln(Vf/Vi)
then solve for Vf
=)

1. What is Van der Waals equation and how is it used in thermal physics?

The Van der Waals equation is a thermodynamic equation of state that describes the behavior of real gases, taking into account intermolecular attractions and the finite volume of gas molecules. It is used in thermal physics to more accurately predict the behavior of real gases under non-ideal conditions, such as at high pressures or low temperatures.

2. What are the limitations of the Van der Waals equation?

The Van der Waals equation is a simplified model and therefore has limitations. It does not take into account the effects of temperature, molecular size, and molecular interactions on gas behavior. It also does not accurately predict phase transitions, such as condensation and vaporization.

3. How does the Van der Waals equation compare to the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law assumes that gas molecules have no volume and do not interact with each other. The Van der Waals equation takes into account the volume of gas molecules and intermolecular interactions, making it more accurate for real gases.

4. What are the units of the constants in the Van der Waals equation?

The constants in the Van der Waals equation have different units depending on the unit system being used. In SI units, the constant a has units of Pa*m^6/mol^2 and b has units of m^3/mol. In other unit systems, such as the cgs system, the units may be different.

5. How is the Van der Waals equation derived?

The Van der Waals equation is derived using statistical mechanics and the kinetic theory of gases. It takes into account the volume of gas molecules and intermolecular forces, resulting in a more accurate model for real gases compared to the ideal gas law.