Potential and field of a thing circular ring

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with an example in their classical mechanics textbook involving finding the potential function and gravitational field intensity for a thin circular ring. The student is having trouble expanding the integrand into a power series and a fellow student helps by explaining that it is a Taylor series expansion of ##1/\sqrt{1+x}##.
richyw

Homework Statement

I'm trying to work through an example in my classical mechanics textbook (Fowles and Cassiday, 7th ed, example 6.7.2. The problem I am having is when he expands the integrand into a power series. I'll write out the first part of the solution. The question is "find the potential function and the gravitational field intensity in the plane of a thin circular ring

Homework Equations

[tex]\Phi=-G\int\frac{dM}{s}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\Phi=-G\int\frac{dM}{s}=-G\int^{2\pi}_0\frac{\mu R d\theta}{s}[/tex]where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the linear mass density of the ring,R is the radius of the ring and M is the mass of the ring. Then using the law of
cosines we have[tex]\Phi=-2R\mu G\int^{\pi}_0\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{r^2+R^2-2Rr\cos\theta}}[/tex][tex]\Phi=-\frac{2R\mu G}{r}\int^{\pi}_0\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{1+(R/r)^2-2(R/r)\cos\theta}}[/tex]The next part is where I am getting stuck. It says to expand in a power series of x=R/r [tex]\Phi=-2x \mu G\int^{\pi}_0\left[\left( 1-\frac{1}{2}x^2+x\cos\theta\right)+\frac{3}{8}\left(x^2-2x\cos\theta\right)^2+\dots\right]d\theta[/tex]What is happening in this step? Sorry if this belongs in intro physics. It's a junior year course though.

Physics news on Phys.org
oh my goodness. thank you.

1. What is the potential of a thing circular ring?

The potential of a thing circular ring is the amount of work required to bring a unit positive charge from infinity to a point on the ring's axis. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is the potential of a thing circular ring calculated?

The potential of a thing circular ring is calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the ring, and r is the distance from the ring's center.

3. What is the electric field of a thing circular ring?

The electric field of a thing circular ring is the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed at a point on the ring's axis. It is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C).

4. How is the electric field of a thing circular ring calculated?

The electric field of a thing circular ring is calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the ring, and r is the distance from the ring's center.

5. Can the electric field of a thing circular ring be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a thing circular ring can be negative if the charge on the ring is negative. The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the force on a positive test charge placed at a point on the ring's axis.