What is the residue of cot(z) at z=0?

• Thread starter Dixanadu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Residue
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the residue of cot(z) at z=0. The process involves using the equation Residue=\lim_{z \to z_{0}}(z-z_{0})f(z) and taking the limit of (z-z_{0})f(z). After some steps, the limit is found to be 0, but the correct answer is 1. It is suggested to use L'Hopital's rule to find the correct behavior of the function towards the limit.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

So guys..the title says it! I need to find the residue of cot(z) at z=0.

Homework Equations

For this situation, since the pole order is 1

[itex]Residue=\lim_{z \to z_{0}}(z-z_{0})f(z)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's what I am doing in steps:

First, the singularity is at z=0. So [itex]z_{0}=0[/itex].

Then I multiply both sides by [itex](z-z_{0})=z[/itex]...to get [itex](z-z_{0})f(z)=zcot(z)[/itex]

Now taking the limit of this is as z = 0 is [itex]0 \times \frac{cos(0)}{sin(0)}=0[/itex]...but this is wrong, the residue is 1...

I know its something stupid that I am doing but what is it? even if i expand sin and cos I still end up with 0...

Physics news on Phys.org
Study this argument carefully and see if that doesn't remind you of some elementary calculus:

Dixanadu said:
[itex]0 \times \frac{cos(0)}{sin(0)}=0[/itex]

Yea I guess you're supposed to use L'Hopital's rule to find the behaviour of the function towards a limit...textbook didnt really say that

Dixanadu said:
textbook didnt really say that

For most problems you encounter, there won't be a textbook to tell you anything at all. Take a minute to understand the trick.

thanks for the hint tho bro!

1. What is the definition of residue in complex analysis?

The residue of a function f(z) at a point z0 is the coefficient of the term (z-z0)^-1 in the Laurent series expansion of f(z) around z0.

2. How do you find the residue of cot(z) at z=0?

To find the residue of cot(z) at z=0, we can use the formula Res(f,z0) = lim(z->z0) ((z-z0)*f(z)). In this case, we have z0=0 and f(z)=cot(z), so Res(cot(z),0) = lim(z->0) (z*cot(z)). Using L'Hopital's rule, we get lim(z->0) (cot(z)+z*csc(z)^2) = 1.

3. Why is it important to find the residue of a function?

Finding the residue of a function is important in complex analysis because it allows us to calculate certain types of integrals, such as contour integrals, using the Residue Theorem. This theorem states that the value of a contour integral is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues of the singular points inside the contour.

4. Can the residue of cot(z) at z=0 be negative?

No, the residue of cot(z) at z=0 cannot be negative. The residue is always a complex number and in this case, it is 1, which has a magnitude of 1 and an angle of 0 degrees. Therefore, it cannot be negative.

5. How does the residue of cot(z) at z=0 relate to the poles of the function?

The residue of cot(z) at z=0 is equal to the order of the pole at z=0. In this case, the pole at z=0 is a simple pole, meaning it has an order of 1, and therefore the residue is 1.