Solve Tricky Integral in "Plane Waves Viewed from an Accelerated Frame

• Thread starter Jip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses a paper on plane waves viewed from an accelerated frame and an integral related to it. The result of the integral is shown to be proportional to a Gamma function, but there is confusion about analytically continuing to complex values. The speaker suggests a substitution and rearrangement to simplify the integral and obtain the desired result.
Jip
Hi,
I'm working the following paper ""Plane waves viewed from an accelerated frame, K Srinivasan, L Sriramkumar, T Padmanabhan - Physical Review D, 1997"

and there's this integral:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{- i \Omega t} \cos \left( \beta - e^{a(\phi/\Omega-t)}\right) dt
[/tex]
whose result seems to be
[tex]
= \frac{e^{- i \phi}}{2 a}\Gamma\left(\frac{i \Omega}{a}\right) \left( e^{\Omega/4\Omega_0} e^{i \beta}+ e^{-\Omega/4\Omega_0} e^{-i \beta}\right)
[/tex]
where [tex] \Omega_0 = a/2 \pi [/tex]

Following the paper I changed variable [tex]z= e^{a(\phi/\Omega -t)}[/tex]. The integral is then proportional to
[tex]
\int_{0}^{\infty} z^{\frac{i \, \, \Omega}{a} -1}\left(e^{i (\beta -z)}+e^{-i (\beta -z)}\right) dz
[/tex]

This is looking a bit a like a Gamma function. The paper then says "analytically continuing to I am z". This is not clear to me. Shall I integrate along some path in the complex plane? Which one? I tried along the first quadrant of C (between R+ and Im+), avoiding the pole in z=0, but its not clear to me how to control the contributions of the paths of very small radius of very large.

I could use some help! :)
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, seems that someone has to write something.. I have some idea, that will lead to the exact result, but I can't write you the whole process. In these works all you need is ability & fantasy.

This is what you have to do:

1) Call for simplicity $$\Delta = \frac{\phi}{\Omega}$$

2) Make the substitution $$y = \beta - e^{a(\Delta - t)}$$ so you will get $$t = \frac{\Delta a - \ln(\beta - y)}{a}$$ and your extrema will run from minus infinity to beta.

3) After you re arranged a bit, shift with $$y = \beta - p$$ with new extrema from $0$ to Infinity.

4) At this point you'll have to compute the integral $$\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(\beta-p)}{p} e^{q\ln(p)}$$ where you wrote $$q = \frac{i\Omega}{a}$$

5) Done that and you'll get the result.

What is the "Plane Waves Viewed from an Accelerated Frame" in the context of integrals?

The "Plane Waves Viewed from an Accelerated Frame" is a mathematical concept used to calculate integrals involving plane waves in a frame of reference that is moving at a constant acceleration. This type of integral is often encountered in the study of special relativity and is used to model physical phenomena in accelerated frames, such as electromagnetic radiation.

Why is it important to solve tricky integrals in the "Plane Waves Viewed from an Accelerated Frame"?

Solving tricky integrals in the "Plane Waves Viewed from an Accelerated Frame" is important because it allows us to accurately model physical phenomena in accelerated frames. This is necessary in many fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and engineering, where objects are often moving at non-constant speeds and accelerations.

What are some common techniques for solving tricky integrals in the "Plane Waves Viewed from an Accelerated Frame"?

Some common techniques for solving tricky integrals in the "Plane Waves Viewed from an Accelerated Frame" include using change of variables, applying special relativity principles, and using mathematical identities and properties such as the Fourier transform. It is also important to have a strong understanding of calculus and complex analysis to effectively solve these types of integrals.

What are some challenges associated with solving tricky integrals in the "Plane Waves Viewed from an Accelerated Frame"?

One of the main challenges associated with solving tricky integrals in the "Plane Waves Viewed from an Accelerated Frame" is the complexity of the equations involved. These integrals often require advanced mathematical techniques and can be difficult to manipulate and solve. Another challenge is ensuring that the solution accurately reflects the physical phenomena being modeled.

How are integrals in the "Plane Waves Viewed from an Accelerated Frame" applied in real-world situations?

Integrals in the "Plane Waves Viewed from an Accelerated Frame" have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. They are used to accurately model and understand physical phenomena in accelerated frames, including the behavior of electromagnetic waves, the motion of objects in space, and the effects of relativity. These integrals also play a crucial role in the development of technologies such as GPS systems and satellite communication.