Calcutaing force needed for a rudder

• Thread starter grnbaja72
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the rudder requires a considerable amount of force to work properly. The servos used to control it must have a high torque output in order to counteract the weight of the attached end of the pole.
grnbaja72
Calcutaing force needed for a "rudder"

Hello everyone, I joined today in an attempt to get some help with a "rudder" I am trying to build for remote control purposes.

So my problem is that I am trying to build what can best be described as a control surface that will apply force to a vertical pole that at times can be very heavy (35-60lbs) and long (7'-40'). What I am trying to figure out is if it is even feasible in the sense that I am going to be limited by the amount of force I am able to apply by the equipment available for radio controlled airplanes.

Here is the best description I can give you of what I am trying to achieve.

If you picture a varying length vertical pole moving through the air at apprx 100knots. The bottom end of this pole is weighted to about 20lbs in order to maintain vertical presentation. Attached to this weighted end is a piece of plastic approximently 10" wide by 12" tall. This piece of plastic articulates around the pole with the use of servos. What i am trying to figure out is a formula or ability calculate the strength that these servos need to have in order to deflect air to the side of the vertical pole which then raises the weighted end of the pole as it flys through the air.

I have attached a pretty cruse picture that may help explain what I am looking for. I know that there are going to be other measurements that are needed in order to figure it out but if someone is willing to help please let me know and i will get any info needed.

image_zps2a57db04.jpg

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Presuming the rudder is just a flat plate (not an airfoil) you can presume that the force exerted on it is:

F = (0.5 * air_density * air_velocity˄2) * surface_area * sind(deflection)

Moment around the hinge is:
M = F * r
(r is the distance from the hinge to the center of the surface area)

If the servo is attached directly to the hinge it must produce torque higher than M (because this calculation is only an approximation).
Otherwise servo torque is:
Mt = M * rs/rr
(rr is the length of the lever attached to the hinge, and rs is the length of the lever attached to the servo)
Again the servo must produce torque higher than M.

Likes 1 person

What is the formula for calculating the force needed for a rudder?

The formula for calculating the force needed for a rudder is F = A x C x ρ x V^2, where F is the force in Newtons, A is the area of the rudder in square meters, C is the drag coefficient, ρ is the density of the fluid (usually water) in kg/m^3, and V is the velocity of the fluid in m/s.

How do you determine the area of a rudder?

The area of a rudder can be determined by measuring the length and width of the rudder and multiplying them together. The resulting area should be in square meters.

What is the drag coefficient of a rudder?

The drag coefficient of a rudder depends on its shape and can vary between 0.05 to 1.0. It is typically obtained through experiments or simulations.

How does the density of the fluid affect the force needed for a rudder?

The density of the fluid has a direct impact on the force needed for a rudder. A higher density will result in a higher force requirement, while a lower density will require less force.

What other factors can affect the force needed for a rudder?

Other factors that can affect the force needed for a rudder include the angle of attack of the rudder, the speed of the fluid, and any external forces acting on the rudder (such as wind or current).