Is it hard to change intrestes as a grad student?

In summary, changing your field of interest in graduate school is usually possible as long as the university has a program in that area and the professors have openings for graduate students. This is exemplified by the experience of someone who initially intended to study low-temperature physics but ended up earning a Ph.D. in experimental high-energy physics due to their interest and skills in computer programming. It is not uncommon for students to switch their focus in graduate school, and it can be done successfully with the right opportunities and determination.
epislon58
Suppose you apply to a grad school with interestes in nuclear physics experiment and then you are accepted, but you then change your mind to maybe cmt or hep theory. Would it be possible to change?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends, but it is usually OK. The university needs to have a program in that area, and the professors have to have openings for graduate students.

When I started grad school, I thought I might go into low-temperature physics, and in fact spent my first summer working with a research group in that area, tinkering with a helium-3 dilution refrigerator. I ended up doing my Ph.D. in experimental HEP because I was into computer programming. This was back in the 1970s when programming skills weren't as common as they are now, and the HEP guys were the heaviest users of programming talent at the time.

No, especially early on.

started in experimental optics, ended up with PhD in Theoretical Solid State... it isn't hard at all...

thank you very informative.

1. What factors make it difficult to change interests as a grad student?

There are several factors that can make it challenging to change interests as a grad student. These can include time constraints, financial limitations, and the pressure to focus on a specific research topic for your thesis or dissertation.

2. Is it common for grad students to change their interests during their program?

Yes, it is not uncommon for grad students to change their interests during their program. As you gain more knowledge and experience in your field, your interests may evolve and lead you to explore new areas of research.

3. How can a grad student successfully change their interests?

Successfully changing interests as a grad student requires careful planning and communication with your advisor and department. It is important to have a clear and compelling reason for the change and to demonstrate how it aligns with your academic goals.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to changing interests as a grad student?

There can be potential drawbacks to changing interests as a grad student, such as having to start from scratch in terms of research and building relationships with new advisors and colleagues. It may also delay your graduation timeline.

5. Can a grad student change their interests multiple times during their program?

Yes, a grad student can change their interests multiple times during their program. However, it is important to consider the potential impact on your academic progress and to communicate with your advisor and department about any changes.