Proving the Existence of One-Sided Limits at Maximum Points in Calculus

• Thread starter CRichard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: If a function is differentiable at a point, it is also continuous at that point, which is a different ball-game.
CRichard
Hello everyone! I'm studying out of Spivak's calculus on my own and ran into a problem I can't explain on Theorem 1 of Chapter 11 (of the third edition). It's probably a very simple problem (Spivak calls it an easy theorem), but I'm still at a roadblock.

Spivak wants to prove that if f is a function defined on (a,b), f is differentiable at x, and x is a maximum (or minimum) point for f on (a,b), then f'(x) = 0.

Spivak shows that, if h>0, then [f(x+h) - f(x)] / h ≤ 0. This implies that the one-sided limit, as h approaches 0 from above, of [f(x+h) - f(x)] / h ≤ 0. (Sorry, I'm not sure about how to do the limit notation on the computer).

I wasn't sure how he made the leap that: because that function is ≤ 0, the one-sided limit is ≤ 0. I used a proof by contradiction to show that, if the one-sided limit exists, it must be ≤ 0, but this is assuming it exists. So my main issue is that I don't know how we can prove that the one-sided limit exists.

I was thinking of using the given fact that f is differentiable at x to show that the one-sided limit must exist. However, Spivak doesn't use this argument, and also I was thinking: even if the two-sided limit at a maximum did not exist, the one-sided limits would still exist, right? (but not be equal to each other). So I was wondering if there was any way to prove that the one-sided limit exists without using the differentiability of the function at x.

Thanks for any input

Physics news on Phys.org
CRichard said:
Spivak wants to prove that if f is a function defined on (a,b), f is differentiable at x, and x is a maximum (or minimum) point for f on (a,b), then f'(x) = 0.
I was thinking of using the given fact that f is differentiable at x to show that the one-sided limit must exist. However, Spivak doesn't use this argument...
Hmm. First thought — how does Spivak define a "differentiable" function?

Spivak defines a function as differentiable at x if the limit, as h approaches 0, of [f(x+h) - f(x)] / h exists. In this way, I think that you could say that the one-sided limit must exist because this 2-sided limit exists at x (by virtue of the function being differentiable at x).

But I was more wondering: if the function has a maximum at x but is not differentiable at x, then does [f(x+h) - f(x)] / h being ≤ 0 imply that the limit, as h approaches 0 from above, of [f(x+h) - f(x)] / h is ≤ 0? And if so, why?

CRichard said:
But I was more wondering: if the function has a maximum at x but is not differentiable at x, then does [f(x+h) - f(x)] / h being ≤ 0 imply that the limit, as h approaches 0 from above, of [f(x+h) - f(x)] / h is ≤ 0? And if so, why?

With those conditions, the limit doesn't even need to exist. For example
f(x) = 1-x if x is rational and x >= 0,
f(x) = 0 if x is irrational or x < 0

Clearly f(x) has a maximum value of 1 when x = 0.

For any h > 0, (f(0+h) - f(0))/h < 0, because f(0) = 1 and f(0+h) < 1, but the limit at x = 0 does not exist.

On the other hand, if a function is differentiable at a point, it is also continuous at that point, which is a different ball-game.

Thanks! That makes sense to me now

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change. It involves the use of mathematical tools and techniques to analyze and solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation.

What is the difference between differential and integral calculus?

Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes of curves, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities and the computation of areas under curves.

What are the basic concepts in calculus?

The basic concepts in calculus include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limits are used to describe the behavior of a function near a particular point, derivatives measure rates of change, and integrals measure accumulation.

What are some real-life applications of calculus?

Calculus has many real-life applications, including predicting the motion of objects in physics, determining optimal solutions in economics and engineering, and analyzing data in fields such as biology and finance.

What is the best way to learn and understand calculus?

The best way to learn and understand calculus is to practice solving problems and working through examples, as well as seeking help from a tutor or attending a class. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry.