Why does ψ have a ghost number of -1 in BRST symmetry?

• Thread starter ndung200790
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of BRST symmetry in which the action is defined as Inew=I0[\phi]+s\psi[\phi,\omega,\varpi,h]. The terms ω and \varpi represent the ghost and anti-ghost, and the operator s is the BRST operator (Slavnov operator) which satisfies sIn=0 when expanded in a series of terms. The Hodge operator t=\varpi\delta/\deltah is introduced and ψ is defined as ψ=-∑tIn/n. The conclusion is that ψ has a ghost number of -1, which follows from the fact that ghost number is conserved (by construction) and the BRST operator
ndung200790
In BRST symmetry the action is

Inew=I0[[itex]\phi[/itex]]+s[itex]\psi[/itex][[itex]\phi[/itex],[itex]\omega[/itex],[itex]\varpi[/itex],h].
Where ω and [itex]\varpi[/itex] is ghost and anti ghost.
If we expand I in series of terms In that satisfy sIn=0(s is BRST operator(Slavnov operator)).
We introduce Hodge operator t=[itex]\varpi[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]/[itex]\delta[/itex]h.Then
ψ=-∑tIn/n.
They conclude that ψ has ghost number is -1,but I do not understand why?

Physics news on Phys.org
It follows from your first line. Ghost number is conserved (by construction), the action has ghost number zero, the BRST operator s has ghost number +1, and so ψ must have ghost number -1.

I do not understand why s operator has ghost number 1?Is it(s operator) being the ''charge'' of BRST symmetry?

Or is s operator being a ''ladder'' operator of ghost number?

s represents (anti)commutation with the BRST charge, which carries ghost number +1. So acting with s raises ghost number by +1.

Conservation of ghost number is not a fundamental principle, and you could image using a ψ that includes terms of different ghost number (thus breaking ghost number conservation). It's just that it's more convenient to have ghost number conservation as an additional tool to restrict possible counterterms.

Is it the relation:

[Q,[itex]\Phi[/itex]][itex]_{\pm}[/itex]=is[itex]\Phi[/itex]?Then how can we see s being ''ladder'' operator of ghost number?

Let N = ghost number operator.

[N,Q]=+Q
[N,ψ]=-ψ

Compare the harmonic oscillator, N=a+a:

[N,a+]=+a+
[N,a]=-a

Why we know [N,Q]=+Q?And why by this we know ghost number of s =+1?

Sorry, I can't help any more. I suggest taking a look at Srednicki's text.

Thank very much for your kind helping.
At the moment,I have a new look: the full BRST transformation is θs,where θ is fermionic variable,I think the ghost number of θ is -1(?).Because of BRST symmetry θs has ghost number 0(?) then s has ghost number +1.
Please consider my question again.

1. Why is ghost number important in BRST symmetry?

Ghost number is important in BRST symmetry because it is a conserved quantity that helps to maintain the symmetry of the system. In BRST symmetry, the ghosts and anti-ghosts have opposite ghost numbers, and this allows for the cancellation of unphysical states in the theory.

2. What is the significance of ψ having a ghost number of -1 in BRST symmetry?

The ghost number of ψ being -1 in BRST symmetry means that it is an anti-ghost field. This is necessary for maintaining the symmetry of the theory, as the ghosts and anti-ghosts have opposite ghost numbers. It also helps to cancel out unphysical states in the system.

3. How does the ghost number of ψ affect the BRST transformation?

The ghost number of ψ affects the BRST transformation as it is one of the fields involved in the transformation. When ψ is combined with the BRST charge, it generates a BRST transformation that helps to maintain the symmetry of the system and eliminate unphysical states.

4. Can the ghost number of ψ change in BRST symmetry?

No, the ghost number of ψ cannot change in BRST symmetry. This is because ghost number is a conserved quantity and the BRST transformation is designed to preserve this quantity. Any change in the ghost number would result in a violation of the symmetry of the system.

5. How does the ghost number of ψ relate to other conserved quantities in BRST symmetry?

The ghost number of ψ is related to other conserved quantities in BRST symmetry, such as the BRST charge and the ghost number operator. These quantities work together to maintain the symmetry of the system and ensure that unphysical states are eliminated. The ghost number of ψ is also related to the fermion number in supersymmetric theories.