Family of Surfaces in 3-D Space

In summary, the author discusses a ##3## parameter equation with two separate variables, stating that it does not necessarily represent a family of surfaces in 3-D space. However, if the coefficient in the equation satisfies a specific condition, the integral can result in a family of surfaces. The author provides an example of this with a set of spheres, but it is unclear how he got from the first equation to the second.
Red_CCF
Hi

I am currently reading a book where this showed up:

The author gave a ##3## parameter equation (note ##Y## and ##y## are two separate variables):

[tex]Y_1dy_1 + Y_2 dy_2 + Y_3dy_3 = 0[/tex]

and states that this does not necessarily represent a family of surfaces in 3-D space and that only if the coefficient in the above equation satisfies (edit: the equation below should be partial derivatives, I can't have it changed for some reason):

[tex]Y_1\left(\frac{dY_2}{dy_3} - \frac{dY_3}{dy_2}\right) + Y_2\left(\frac{dY_3}{dy_1} - \frac{dY_1}{dy_3}\right) + Y_3\left(\frac{dY_1}{dy_2} - \frac{dY_2}{dy_1}\right) = 0[/tex]

Edit (Mark44): Is this what you meant?
$$Y_1\left(\frac{\partial Y_2}{\partial y_3} - \frac{\partial Y_3}{\partial y_2}\right) + Y_2\left(\frac{\partial Y_3}{\partial y_1} - \frac{\partial Y_1}{\partial y_3}\right) + Y_3\left(\frac{\partial Y_1}{\partial y_2} - \frac{\partial Y_2}{\partial y_1}\right) = 0 $$
I don't know the answer to your question, but thought I would edit your post for you.

can the integral result in a family of surfaces. The example he gave was:

[tex] y_1 dy_1 + y_2dy_2 + y_3dy_3 = 0[/tex]

for which gives an set of spheres.

I have no idea how he got from the first to the second equation. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mark44

Yes the highlighted is what I meant, thank you for changing it

1. What is a family of surfaces in 3-D space?

A family of surfaces in 3-D space refers to a group of surfaces that share a common mathematical relationship or equation. These surfaces can be represented as a function of three variables, x, y, and z, and are usually defined by a set of parameters.

2. How are families of surfaces classified?

Families of surfaces are classified based on the type of equation or relationship they share. Some common classifications include planes, spheres, cylinders, and cones. These surfaces can also be classified as algebraic or transcendental, depending on the type of equations used to define them.

3. What is the significance of studying families of surfaces in 3-D space?

Studying families of surfaces in 3-D space is important for understanding and analyzing various real-world phenomena, such as the behavior of fluids, electromagnetic fields, and object motion. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics.

4. How are families of surfaces represented graphically?

Families of surfaces can be represented graphically using various techniques, such as contour plots, parametric equations, and computer-generated 3-D models. These representations help visualize the relationship between the variables and the resulting surfaces.

5. What are some real-life examples of families of surfaces in 3-D space?

Some common real-life examples of families of surfaces in 3-D space include the motion of a projectile, the shape of a water droplet, and the paths of planetary orbits. Other examples can be found in fields such as architecture, art, and industrial design.