I Have Trouble Understanding Physics, Will Higher-Level Math help?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a career in physics and their concern about understanding advanced physics concepts. It is suggested that understanding the underlying mathematical concepts is crucial for comprehending physics. The speaker is advised to focus on mastering classical physics before delving into more advanced topics. The conversation also mentions the speaker's current and future course schedule, which includes math and physics classes.
mrnike992
I am a Junior in high school, and am currently considering a career (though highly unlikely to find one, from what I've heard) in physics. I have taken Algebra I, (Adv st.) Geometry, (Adv st.) Algebra II, am currently enrolled in Pre-calc, and will be taking Calculus next year.

I find physics to be incredibly interesting, but have trouble understanding a lot of what I read (about various subjects, ranging from relativity, to quantum mechanics, to elementary particles, etc.).

My question is, would I find it easier to understand these concepts after having taken Calculus? Thanks for any help or insight!

Micheal

Physics news on Phys.org
The short answer is yes. To understand "advanced" undergraduate physics one needs Calculus I, II, III, differential equations, and linear algebra. More advanced math will be required for elementary particles and relativity, but don't worry about it now.

My advice: take things step by step. If you want to study physics in undergrad, you'll take all that math. In general, one cannot understand the physics without understanding the mathematical language used to express it, and this is a common hitch for people unfamiliar with the study of physics. Take your math courses very seriously and your life will be much easier when you're learning the physics (take it from someone who has had to do a lot of mathematical catch-up)

You will have a better understanding once you get the fundamentals down, like classical physics. Understanding quantum mechanics before classical physics seems a little impossible.

mrnike992 said:
I find physics to be incredibly interesting, but have trouble understanding a lot of what I read (about various subjects, ranging from relativity, to quantum mechanics, to elementary particles, etc.).

You definitely need to know a lot more math before tackling elementary particle physics, general relativity, and (to a lesser extent) quantum mechanics, calculus itself will not be enough by any means unless you want a really superficial understanding of the underlying physics.

However the (much) bigger issue is you first need to know your Newtonian mechanics and EM cold. At your age it may seem very tempting to just rush through Newtonian mechanics and, probably more rarely through EM (although why would you? EM is in and of itself an incredibly awesome subject to say the least) in order to start learning the ostensibly "flashy" topics in physics but this will only hurt you significantly down the road.

If you use the right textbooks, you'll have a lot of fun with Newtonian mechanics and EM and won't have the desire to just haphazardly learn them so as to jump right into GR, QM etc.

WannabeNewton said:
You definitely need to know a lot more math before tackling elementary particle physics, general relativity, and (to a lesser extent) quantum mechanics

So it's not such a terrible thing that I don't quite understand some of the stuff that I'm reading? I'm just trying to make sure that I'm not pursuing something that's unreasonable for me..

mrnike992 said:
So it's not such a terrible thing that I don't quite understand some of the stuff that I'm reading? I'm just trying to make sure that I'm not pursuing something that's unreasonable for me..

Gosh no, it's far, far from terrible so don't worry about it even in the slightest. Given your stated mathematical background, absolutely no one would expect you to be able to understand more or less rigorous accounts of QM, GR, etc.

mrnike992 said:

Have you taken algebra-based physics yet? I highly recommend it!

WannabeNewton said:
Gosh no, it's far, far from terrible so don't worry about it even in the slightest. Given your stated mathematical background, absolutely no one would expect you to be able to understand more or less rigorous accounts of QM, GR, etc.

Well that's EXTREMELY good to hear, it's good to know that will come later.

lisab said:
Have you taken algebra-based physics yet? I highly recommend it!

I have, and am taking calc based Physics next year (in addition to Physics II).

Haha, senior year schedule should be fun:

Calculus (2nd semester is AP)
Physics II
AP Physics (Calc based version of Physics I)
Chemistry II
IB English HL 12th
IB History of the Americas II
Astronomy (1st semester)/Clerical Aide for Physics teacher (2nd semester)

Last edited:
Ya, those english and history classes are going to suck.

Well, IB Classes are 2 years long, and I'm currently in the first year of both them. Yeah, they're pretty bad. Although, making an A in both is possible with relative ease, so I guess that's all that matters for those classes.

Last edited:

1. How does higher-level math relate to understanding physics?

Higher-level math, such as calculus and linear algebra, are essential tools for understanding physics. Many concepts in physics, such as motion and forces, are described using mathematical equations. Without a solid understanding of higher-level math, it can be challenging to comprehend the underlying principles of physics.

2. Will learning higher-level math make physics easier to understand?

While higher-level math is necessary for understanding physics, it is not a guarantee that it will make physics easier to understand. Physics involves applying mathematical concepts to real-world situations, and it also requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills. So, while learning higher-level math may help, it is not the only factor in understanding physics.

3. Can I learn physics without knowing higher-level math?

It is possible to learn the basic principles of physics without knowing higher-level math. However, to fully understand and apply these principles, a solid understanding of higher-level math is essential. It is similar to trying to build a house without the necessary tools; it may be possible, but it will be much more challenging and may not result in a sturdy structure.

4. How can I improve my understanding of physics using higher-level math?

The best way to improve your understanding of physics using higher-level math is to practice. Work through practice problems and apply the mathematical concepts to real-world scenarios. Additionally, seek help from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling to understand a particular concept. They can provide guidance and practice opportunities to improve your understanding.

5. Are there any resources available for learning higher-level math for physics?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning higher-level math for physics. These can include textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, and practice problems. Additionally, many schools offer tutoring services for students who need extra help with math and physics concepts. It is also helpful to seek out a study group or join online forums where you can discuss and work through problems with others.