Integration of partials, specifically Euler to Bernoulli Equation

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty understanding the derivation from Euler's Equation to Bernoulli's Equation, specifically the step involving integrating partial derivatives. The question also asks about the conversion of partial dp/dx to dp and the origin of gH in the equation. The expert notes that the chain rule can be used to explain the conversion, and suggests that gH may come from boundary conditions. The conversation ends with the suggestion to express the constant as g*H for better clarity.
zuppi
Hi!

I am having trouble following the derivation from Euler's Equation to Bernoulli's Equation. The trouble lies in the math, not the physics part. Especially the step when partial derivatives are being integrated.
I have attached the relevant part as a screenshot.

Euler.PNG

How does the partial dp/dx change into dp? And where does gH come from?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can simply note that, by the chain rule [itex] dp=\frac{\partial p}{\partial x}dx[/itex]. As far as gH is concerned, I think it should probably come from your boundary conditions. You need some information to determine the constant.
However, I don't know what H is so I can't really answer your question.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, that makes sense, I forgot about the chain rule for partials.
Concerning gH I believe it is just another way of expressing the constant to give it a more physical meaning. With H being the "Head" measured in meters. They should have written ... = constant = g*H to make it more clear.

Sounds reasonable.

1. What is the Euler to Bernoulli equation?

The Euler to Bernoulli equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the relationship between the partial derivatives of a function and the function itself. It is often used in physics and engineering to model physical systems.

2. How is the Euler to Bernoulli equation derived?

The Euler to Bernoulli equation is derived by applying the Euler operator to the partial derivatives of a function and setting it equal to zero. This results in a second-order differential equation that can be solved to find the function.

3. What are the applications of the Euler to Bernoulli equation?

The Euler to Bernoulli equation has many applications in physics and engineering, including analyzing the behavior of beams and plates, predicting the vibrations of structures, and solving problems in fluid mechanics.

4. Can the Euler to Bernoulli equation be solved analytically?

Yes, the Euler to Bernoulli equation can be solved analytically using techniques such as separation of variables or variation of parameters. However, in some cases, numerical methods may be necessary to find a solution.

5. How is the Euler to Bernoulli equation related to other partial differential equations?

The Euler to Bernoulli equation is a specific type of partial differential equation known as a second-order linear homogeneous equation. It is also related to other equations such as the heat equation, wave equation, and Laplace's equation, which can be derived from it under certain conditions.