Understanding the Discrepancy in Four-Vector Differentiation in QFT

In summary, the person is working on QFT and is having trouble with two methods for evaluating iγμ∂μexp(-ip⋅x). The first method is correct, but the second method has a mistake in using the Minkowski metric and raising and lowering indices. The mistake is corrected and the person thanks for the help.
welcomeblack
Hi all, I'm working on some QFT and I've run into a stupid problem. I can't figure out why my two methods for evaluating

[itex]
i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \exp(-i p \cdot x)
[/itex]

don't agree. I'm using the Minkowski metric [itex]g_{\mu\nu} = diag(+,-,-,-) [/itex] and I'm using [itex] \partial_\mu = (\frac{\partial}{\partial t},\vec{\nabla} ) [/itex]

Method one (correct):

[itex]
i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \exp(-i p \cdot x) = i\gamma^\mu \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} \exp(-i p_\mu x^\mu) \\
i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \exp(-i p \cdot x) =i\gamma^\mu (-i p_\mu) \exp(-i p_\mu x^\mu) \\
i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \exp(-i p \cdot x) =\gamma^\mu p_\mu \exp(-i p_\mu x^\mu) \\
i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \exp(-i p \cdot x) =[\gamma^0 E - \gamma^1 p_x - \gamma^2 p_y - \gamma^3 p_z] \exp(-i p_\mu x^\mu)
[/itex]

Method 2 (incorrect):

[itex]
i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \exp(-i p \cdot x)=i[\gamma^0 \frac{\partial}{\partial t} - \gamma^1 \frac{\partial}{\partial x} - \gamma^2 \frac{\partial}{\partial y} - \gamma^3 \frac{\partial}{\partial z}] \exp(-iEt+ip_x x + i p_y y + i p_z z) \\
i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \exp(-i p \cdot x)=i[\gamma^0 (-iE) - \gamma^1 (ip_x) - \gamma^2 (ip_y) - \gamma^3 (ip_z)] \exp(-iEt+ip_x x + i p_y y + i p_z z) \\
i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \exp(-i p \cdot x)=[\gamma^0 E + \gamma^1 p_x + \gamma^2 p_y + \gamma^3 p_z] \exp(-i p_\mu x^\mu)
[/itex]

What's going on? It feels like I'm going crazy.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcomeblack said:
Method 2 (incorrect):
[itex]i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \exp(-i p \cdot x)=i[\gamma^0 \frac{\partial}{\partial t} - \gamma^1 \frac{\partial}{\partial x} - \gamma^2 \frac{\partial}{\partial y} - \gamma^3 \frac{\partial}{\partial z}] \exp(-iEt+ip_x x + i p_y y + i p_z z)
[/itex]
Should be
[itex]i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \exp(-i p \cdot x)=i[\gamma^0 \frac{\partial}{\partial t} + \gamma^1 \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + \gamma^2 \frac{\partial}{\partial y} + \gamma^3 \frac{\partial}{\partial z}] \exp(-iEt+ip_x x + i p_y y + i p_z z)
[/itex]

You only need to insert minus signs when raising or lowering indices, or when the Minkowski metric is explicitly present. In this case, γμ is contravariant and ∂/∂xμ is covariant, so everything's fine, and the sum over μ is just a sum.

Ohhh okay I get it. Thanks for your help!

1. What is a four-vector?

A four-vector is a mathematical object that has four components and transforms in a specific way under Lorentz transformations. It is commonly used in the field of special relativity to describe physical quantities, such as position, momentum, and energy.

2. What is four-vector differentiation?

Four-vector differentiation is the process of taking the derivative of a four-vector with respect to a specific variable. This allows for the calculation of the rate of change of the four-vector in relation to that variable. It is an important tool in the study of special relativity and is used in various equations and calculations.

3. How is four-vector differentiation different from regular vector differentiation?

Four-vector differentiation takes into account the principles of special relativity, such as the invariance of the speed of light and the Lorentz transformation, while regular vector differentiation does not. This means that the rules and equations used in four-vector differentiation are different from those used in regular vector differentiation.

4. What are some real-world applications of four-vector differentiation?

Four-vector differentiation is commonly used in the fields of astrophysics and particle physics to describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. It is also used in the development of theories and models that involve special relativity, such as the theory of general relativity.

5. Are there any limitations to four-vector differentiation?

Four-vector differentiation is based on the principles of special relativity and is only applicable in situations where those principles hold true. It may not accurately describe the behavior of objects at very high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields, where the effects of general relativity must be taken into account. Additionally, it may not be applicable in non-relativistic situations.