Which Variable Star Has the Longest Period?

In summary, the conversation is about the name and characteristics of the variable star with the longest period. The person mentions that Mira variables are generally the longest, but asks for the specific star with the longest period. Another person suggests Epsilon Aurigae, but clarifies that it is not a Mira star. The conversation then shifts to discussing the upper limit of the period for Miras, with one book mentioning 700 days and another mentioning 1000 days. The original person is still searching for information and shares a link mentioning a star with a period of 1630 days. They thank the other person for their input and note that long period variables may pose practical challenges, especially in the infrared range.
mishima
Hi, what is the name of the variable star with the longest period? I know Mira variables are in general the longest, but which particular star has the longest period? Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Off the top of my head, I will guess Epsilon Aurigae. It's not a Mira, though.

Ah, sorry I meant longest period pulsating variable. One book I have gives 700 days as the upper limit for Miras, another 1000 days.

Still looking for this information...failed to find on AAVSO site.

Thank you sir, quite interesting. I suppose very long period variables are somewhat of a practical problem, even more so if in the infrared range.

1. What is a longest period variable star?

A longest period variable star is a type of star that experiences regular cycles of brightness over an extended period of time. These cycles can last for several years or even decades.

2. How long is the period of a longest period variable star?

The period of a longest period variable star can range from a few years to several decades. Some of the longest known periods are over 1,000 days.

3. What causes the variability in a longest period variable star?

The variability in a longest period variable star is caused by pulsations or changes in the star's luminosity. These changes can be due to internal processes, such as changes in temperature or nuclear reactions, or external factors like interactions with a companion star.

4. What is the difference between a longest period variable star and a short period variable star?

The main difference between a longest period variable star and a short period variable star is the length of their variability periods. Longest period variable stars have periods of several years to decades, while short period variable stars have periods of hours to days.

5. How do scientists study longest period variable stars?

Scientists study longest period variable stars by observing their brightness over time. This data is then used to create light curves, which show the changes in brightness over the course of a full cycle. They also use spectroscopy to analyze the star's chemical composition and study its pulsations.