What exactly is applied mathematics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of pursuing a PhD in applied math with a focus on epidemiology. However, the speaker suggests that the term "applied math" is too broad and it would be more beneficial to find a specific area within epidemiology to focus on and seek out an advisor in that field. It is important to narrow down interests and research areas to determine which department and advisor would be the most suitable for this type of research.
emlekarc
I'm a Math and Mechanical Engineering double major who is considering graduate school for Math in the future. If I have always been interested in epidemiology and combining my love of math with my love of engineering, should I get my phd in applied math? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Applied math is very broad. Your post shows me that you think that a PhD in applied math is a very specific thing and that PhD's in applied math know roughly the same things. This is of course false. A PhD in applied math is a title that is used, but is rather meaningless other than that it says that you have applied math somewhere.

You could and should be more specific. You are interested in epidemiology? Well, then you should do research in epidemiology. Find yourself a good advisor in epidemiology. Whether this advisor is in the math department or another department depends on your tastes. If you like the underlying mathematical aspects of it, then somebody in the math department would be suitable.

So instead of a vague thing like "applied mathematics", try to find out what exactly you're interested in and in what aspect of the theory you would like to do research in. Then you should see which people do these kind of research and to what department these people usually belong.

1. What is the definition of applied mathematics?

Applied mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the application of mathematical concepts, theories, and methods to solve real-world problems in various fields such as science, engineering, business, and economics.

2. How is applied mathematics different from pure mathematics?

Pure mathematics is concerned with studying abstract concepts and theories for their own sake, while applied mathematics focuses on using mathematical tools to solve practical problems in different disciplines.

3. What are some examples of applications of applied mathematics?

Some common examples of applications of applied mathematics include statistical analysis, optimization, cryptography, data analysis, and mathematical modeling of physical systems.

4. What skills are needed to work in applied mathematics?

To work in applied mathematics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. Additionally, knowledge of computer programming and data analysis is also beneficial.

5. What are the benefits of studying applied mathematics?

Studying applied mathematics can lead to a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, finance, data science, and research. It also helps in developing critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are highly valued in many industries.