Find x_0 and the largest interval, I, for which y(x) is a sol[ ]

In summary, for the given differential equation and initial-value problem, the value of x_0 is -1 and 2, and the largest intervals for which y(x) and y'(x) are analytic and y(x) is also a solution are (-∞, -1) and (2, ∞). The interval [−1,2] is not a solution because it includes the point x = 0, where y(x) is not defined.
s3a
"Find x_0 and the largest interval, I, for which y(x) is a sol[...]"

Homework Statement

Given that y = –2/x + x is a solution of the differential equation xy' + y = 2x, find ##x_0## and the largest interval, I, for which y(x) is a solution of the initial-value problem:

xy' + y = 2x; y(##x_0##) = 1

Homework Equations

y(x) = –2/x + x
y(##x_0##) = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

The largest intervals for which y(x) and y'(x) are analytic are (–∞, 0) and (0, ∞), but what is/are the largest interval for which y(x) and y'(x) are analytic for which y(x) is also a solution to the given initial–value problem?

Basically, how does forcing y(x) to be a solution to the given initial–value problem affect the interval?

Also, if one has two infinite intervals, aren't they equal (rather than one being larger)? For example, isn't (–∞, 0) just as large as (–∞, –25)? (I arbitrarily chose the number –25.)

Any help in understanding how to answer this problem correctly would be GREATLY appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
To understand these questions, don't be frightened to play around a bit first.

i.e. have you checked that the y(x) given is actually a solution to the DE?
If it is then there is no question of "forcing" anything: it's a solution.

Is y(x) a unique solution? What would the general solution look like?

The initial value changes the problem, why wouldn't the interval be changed?

Note: when dealing with infinities, you want Cantor arithmetic.
i.e. while both your example intervals contain an infinite number of integers, you can equally say that one of your intervals contains 25 fewer integers than the other one. Expand that statement to the missing reals as well...

You are given that y= -2/x+ x and want [itex]y(x_0)= 1[/itex]. So for what [itex]x_0[/itex] is [itex]y(x_0)= -2/x_0+ x_0= 1[/itex]. And for purposes of this problem, interval A is "larger" than interval B if B is a proper subset of A. So (-∞, 0) is larger than (-∞, -25).

Thanks for the inputs.

I get x_0 = −1, 2.

Someone told me that the intervals for which y(x) and y'(x) are analytic for which y(x) is also a solution to the given initial-value problem

are (−∞, −1) and (2, ∞).

I understand why not when x = 0, but why is y(x) not a solution to the given initial-value problem on [−1,2], though?

1. What is the process for finding x_0 and the largest interval, I, for which y(x) is a solution?

The process for finding x_0 and the largest interval, I, for which y(x) is a solution involves solving the given differential equation and identifying any initial conditions that are provided. Once the differential equation is solved, the value of x_0 can be found by setting the independent variable to 0 and solving for the dependent variable. The largest interval, I, can then be determined by looking at the behavior of the solution function and identifying the range of values for which the function remains valid.

2. How do initial conditions affect the determination of x_0 and the largest interval, I?

Initial conditions play a crucial role in determining x_0 and the largest interval, I, for which y(x) is a solution. These conditions provide specific values for the dependent variable at a given point and help to narrow down the possible solutions of the differential equation. Without initial conditions, it would be impossible to determine a unique solution for x_0 and the largest interval, I.

3. Can x_0 and the largest interval, I, be determined for any type of differential equation?

Yes, x_0 and the largest interval, I, can be determined for any type of differential equation. However, the process for finding these values may vary depending on the type of differential equation and the initial conditions provided. It is important to carefully analyze the given equation and conditions in order to determine the appropriate method for finding x_0 and the largest interval, I.

4. How does the solution function, y(x), affect the determination of x_0 and the largest interval, I?

The solution function, y(x), is a key factor in determining x_0 and the largest interval, I, for which it is a solution. The behavior of the solution function can provide valuable insights into the range of values for which it remains valid. It is important to analyze the solution function and identify any points of discontinuity or singularities that may affect the determination of x_0 and the largest interval, I.

5. Are there any limitations to finding x_0 and the largest interval, I, for a given differential equation?

While it is possible to find x_0 and the largest interval, I, for any given differential equation, there may be some limitations. In some cases, the solution function may have complex or imaginary values, which can make it difficult to determine the largest interval, I. Additionally, some differential equations may have multiple solutions, making it more challenging to identify a unique x_0 and largest interval, I. It is important to carefully consider the nature of the given differential equation and any limitations that may affect the determination of x_0 and the largest interval, I.