Integrals containing (x^2+a^2-2xa cos(theta))^(-1/2)

• Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, integrals containing \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+a^2-2xa \cos{\theta}}} are common in physics and can be solved using trig substitution. By completing the square and using a trig substitution, a simplification can be made to find the answer. There may be a typo in the second last step, but the final result is \sinh^{-1} \frac{x-a\cos\theta}{a\sin\theta}.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Integrals containing [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+a^2-2xa \cos{\theta}}} [/itex] occur frequently in physics but I still have problem solving them. Is there a general method for dealing with them?(Either w.r.t. x or [itex] \theta [/itex])
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
These two integrals are commonly expressed thanks to logarithm and elliptic functions :

Attachments

• Integrales.JPG
    Integrales.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 449
Shyan said:
Integrals containing [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+a^2-2xa \cos{\theta}}} [/itex] occur frequently in physics but I still have problem solving them. Is there a general method for dealing with them?(Either w.r.t. x or [itex] \theta [/itex])
Thanks

For respect to x:

Perform a trig substitution (not theta, a different variable) by first completing the square under the square root. A nice simplification will occur. Then proceed as you normally would after a trig substitution to get the first answer provided in the image provided in the post above mine.

This is how I did it :
[itex]
\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{x^2+a^2-2xa\cos\theta}}=\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{(x-a\cos\theta)^2+a^2\sin^2\theta}}=\frac{1}{a\sin\theta}\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{x-a\cos\theta}{a\sin\theta})}}=\sinh^{-1} \frac{x-a\cos\theta}{a\sin\theta}
[/itex]
Anyway...thanks both!

I'm positive it is a typo, but there is a missing exponent in the second last step. I haven't worked with hyperbolic functions since college so I missed that neat shortcut. Nice work.

1. What is the significance of (x^2+a^2-2xa cos(theta))^(-1/2) in integrals?

Integrals containing (x^2+a^2-2xa cos(theta))^(-1/2) are important in the field of mathematics and physics, as they represent the inverse of a trigonometric function. They are commonly used to solve problems involving circular motion, as well as in the calculation of areas and volumes.

2. What does the variable "a" represent in this integral?

The variable "a" represents a constant value, typically used to represent the radius of a circle or the length of a side in a geometric shape. It can also represent a constant in a mathematical equation or expression.

3. How can the term (x^2+a^2-2xa cos(theta))^(-1/2) be simplified?

The term (x^2+a^2-2xa cos(theta))^(-1/2) can be simplified using trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identity or the cosine double angle formula. It can also be simplified using algebraic techniques, such as factoring or completing the square.

4. Are there any specific techniques or methods for solving integrals with (x^2+a^2-2xa cos(theta))^(-1/2)?

Yes, there are several techniques and methods for solving integrals with (x^2+a^2-2xa cos(theta))^(-1/2). These include substitution, integration by parts, and the use of trigonometric identities. It is also important to understand the properties of inverse trigonometric functions in order to accurately solve these types of integrals.

5. Can (x^2+a^2-2xa cos(theta))^(-1/2) be used to represent other types of functions in an integral?

Yes, (x^2+a^2-2xa cos(theta))^(-1/2) can be used to represent a variety of functions in an integral, as long as the function can be expressed in terms of a trigonometric function. It is a versatile tool in solving integrals and can be applied in many different scenarios.