Proving Solutions of Linear Transformations Using Kernel and Fixed Vectors

In summary, a vector x_1 \in V is a solution of T(x)=b if and only if it can be written as a sum of x_h \in kerT and x_0 \in V, where x_0 is a fixed solution of T(x)=b and x_h \in kerT. This is shown by considering the elements x_i \in X_i and x_1 \in \prod_{i=1}^{h} X_i, and noting that x_1 is not equal to the empty set for all i. With careful logic and practice, one can convince themselves of the correctness of this argument.
laminatedevildoll
[tex]\ Let T: V \rightarrow W [/tex] be a linear transformation, let [tex]b \in W [/tex]be a fixed vector, and let [tex]x_0 \in V [/tex] be a fixed solution of
[tex]T(x)=b.[/tex] Prove that a vector [tex]x_1 \in V [/tex]is a solution of [tex] T(x)=b,[/tex] if and only if [tex] x_1 [/tex]is of the form [tex]x_1=x_h +x_0 [/tex]where [tex]x_h \in kerT[/tex]

I started out by saying that

[tex] x_i \in X_i[/tex]

[tex](x_1... x_n) \in \prod [/tex] (where i=1 and h is at the top) [tex]X_0[/tex]

[tex](x_1... x_n) \in \prod X_i[/tex]

[tex] x_i \in X_i \rightarrow x_1 [/tex] is not equal to the empty set for all i.

I am not sure if I am doing this right. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're looking for these:

[tex]\neq \emptyset[/tex]

[tex]\prod_{i=1}^{h}[/tex]

[itex]\ker T[/itex]

Last edited:
to see if you are right, ask yourself if your argument is logically convincing. it is crucial to be able to decide for yourself, if such arguments are correct. i.e. practice playing both roles, argue it then ask if it could possibly be wrong, then answer yourself.

I think that it's convincing, but sometimes I find it hard to convince myself that it's right because I doubt myself all the time.

well that's the goal to achieve. to reduce your arguments to logic so simple and clear that you can persuade yourself that you must be right. keep practicing.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another vector space in a way that linear relationships are preserved. This means that the transformation preserves the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How is a linear transformation represented mathematically?

A linear transformation is represented by a matrix. The columns of the matrix represent the images of the basis vectors in the transformed space.

3. What is the purpose of a linear transformation proof?

The purpose of a linear transformation proof is to demonstrate that a given function is a linear transformation by verifying that it preserves the properties of linearity, such as preserving vector addition and scalar multiplication.

4. What are the key steps in a linear transformation proof?

The key steps in a linear transformation proof include defining the function, showing that it preserves vector addition and scalar multiplication, and verifying that the transformed vectors are in the same vector space as the original vectors.

5. How do you know if a function is a linear transformation?

A function is a linear transformation if it satisfies the two properties of linearity: preservation of vector addition and scalar multiplication. This can be verified by performing mathematical operations on the transformed vectors and comparing them to the original vectors.