Connect 2 Computers w/ 1 Cable | File Sharing Tutorial

• Thread starter DadandMom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary: If you are using windows, then you need to probably enable file and print sharing and then put drives/folders on share.
DadandMom
How can I make 2 computer see each other using only one cable, not the cable like a printer's, but the one you use for internet connection ?

How to do that ?

I can connect to a remote computer with ip 192.168.1.1 ex, but taht way not let me share files, copy files to my own computer, I can only control that computer only. Can't drag files into my computer. Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Lemme clarify this
You want to be able to share files between your computer and a remote computer? Like, as if their hard drive is a hard drive on your computer?

DadandMom said:
How can I make 2 computer see each other using only one cable, not the cable like a printer's, but the one you use for internet connection ?How to do that ?
Just connect them with the ethernet cable(10BaseX) and give the lan card respective IP addresses. And reboot both systems.

I can connect to a remote computer with ip 192.168.1.1 ex, but taht way not let me share files, copy files to my own computer, I can only control that computer only. Can't drag files into my computer. Thanks
If you are using windows, then you need to probably enable file and print sharing and then put drives/folders on share.
http://www.youthtech.com/techstuff/networking/fileprintshare.htm
[edit]
Once you have done with enabling sharing, you need to map your network drives onto your computer. This can be done my right clicking on My Computer icon and selecting "Map Network Drive". Then any foreign drive/folder can be assigned a drive name and can be seen as a drive inside your computer.
[/edit]

In linux, you can do the same via nfs.
A nice bit of info is given here for fedora,
http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/NFSv4/NFSv4-no-rpcsec.html
But i would recommend not to look into it unless you are comfortable with linux

-- AI

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need a CROSSOVER LAN cable to connect 2 computers without a hub or switch. You should be able to find these at any reasonable computer store. Or if you do a web search you will find how to wire one up for yourself if you have the tools.

Integral said:
You will need a CROSSOVER LAN cable to connect 2 computers without a hub or switch. You should be able to find these at any reasonable computer store. Or if you do a web search you will find how to wire one up for yourself if you have the tools.

Actually, some computers (notably Macs) will handle either sort of cable.

NateTG said:
Actually, some computers (notably Macs) will handle either sort of cable.

...it's actually a feature of the "auto-sensing crossover ports" (auto-MDI/MDIX) on certain network-cards.

If you don't have such a network card, here's a useful gadget (a crossover-adapter) http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-et-crossoveradapter.html which can convert any standard LAN cable into a crossover. Of course, as Integral says, you can cut up a standard cable and swap a few wires. (I think that crossover cables are way overpriced in the retail stores.)

Hi,

I am facing same kind of a problem. I have the cross over cable.When I try to connect the two laptops giving them different IP address and by configuring one laptop's IP address to others gateway and vice versa. Although network gets connected but the problem is when i try to ping from one laptop it gives me that request timed out. whereas from other laptop i get the ping response. My laptops has norton 2005 and zonelab firewall installed.

Please tell me what should i do in this regards so that i can do file sharing. Your response will be highly appreciated

1. How do I physically connect two computers with one cable?

To physically connect two computers with one cable, you will need a special type of Ethernet cable called a crossover cable. This cable has the transmit and receive wires crossed over, allowing for direct communication between the two computers. Simply plug one end of the crossover cable into the Ethernet port of one computer, and the other end into the Ethernet port of the second computer.

2. Do I need any special software to set up file sharing between the two computers?

Yes, you will need to install file sharing software on both computers in order to connect and transfer files between them. Some popular options include Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive. These programs allow you to easily share files between computers, as well as access them from any device with an internet connection.

3. How do I set up file sharing between the two computers?

To set up file sharing between two computers, you will first need to ensure that both computers are connected to the same network. Then, on each computer, you will need to open the file sharing software and follow the prompts to create an account and set up file sharing. Once this is done, you will be able to share files between the two computers.

4. Can I share any type of file between the two computers?

Yes, you can share any type of file between two computers as long as the file sharing software supports it. Some programs may have limitations on file size or file type, so it's important to check the specifications of the software you are using. Additionally, make sure that the files you are sharing are not restricted by any copyright or licensing agreements.

5. Is file sharing between two computers secure?

File sharing between two computers can be secure if proper precautions are taken. Make sure to use a strong password for your file sharing account and only share files with trusted individuals. Additionally, you can encrypt your files before sharing them to add an extra layer of security. It's also important to regularly update your file sharing software and computer operating systems to protect against any potential security vulnerabilities.