Do Digital Signals Really Transmit More Information Than Analog Signals?

• Thread starter hogben
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Digital
In summary, while digital signals do have an advantage over analogue signals in terms of information transmission, this is due to their binary encoding and resistance to noise rather than just the short time interval between pulses.
hogben
I found the following on the Edexcel Website:

GCSE Specimen Paper
Paper 4H
Physics A [1540]
URL http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/18085.pdf

Question 1(b)(ii) “Digital signals have an advantage over analogue signals since more information can be sent over the cable. Explain this.”

Answer “An explanation to include: very short time interval between pulses; lots can be placed close together.”

Is this right?
I've re-read Nyquist, Shannon, Hartley and Turing and I can't find anything like this. Surely the cable IS an analogue communication channel.

If I send two identical signals down two identical channels.
Both look like digital data. I view one as analogue and the other as digital. Apparently, I get more information out of the identical digital one!

I rushed to my Physics textbook:
Physics for AQA
Separate Award Edition.
Published by Heinemann
ISBN 0 435 584 219

only to find on page 52,

“Second, a particular cable, optical fibre or carrier wave is able to carry more information if it is transmitted as a digital signal than if it is transmitted as an analogue signal.”

This surely is rubbish too.

I thought there was simple catch-all rule in Physics: "You get nothing for nothing." Apparently in GCSE Physics you can.

Comments? Am I cracking up?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I can confirm that the statement in the answer is not entirely correct. While it is true that digital signals can carry more information over a cable compared to analogue signals, this is not solely due to the short time interval between pulses or the ability to place them close together.

In fact, the main advantage of digital signals lies in their ability to be encoded and decoded using binary code, where each pulse represents a 1 or 0. This allows for a greater range of values to be represented and therefore more information can be transmitted. Additionally, digital signals are less prone to noise and interference, leading to a more accurate transmission of information.

It is important to note that while digital signals may have an advantage in terms of information transmission, this does not mean that analogue signals are not useful or effective for communication. Each has its own strengths and applications, and it is important for students to understand the differences and uses of both.

I would recommend referencing reliable sources such as textbooks and academic articles when studying physics concepts, rather than relying on exam papers. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention and I hope this clarifies any confusion.

Your analysis is correct. The statement that digital signals have an advantage over analogue signals because more information can be sent over the cable is not entirely accurate. In fact, both digital and analogue signals can carry the same amount of information. The difference lies in how the information is encoded and decoded.

In digital communication, the information is converted into a series of discrete numbers (bits) and transmitted as a series of pulses. This allows for more efficient use of the communication channel as the pulses can be placed closer together. However, in analogue communication, the information is transmitted as a continuous wave, which can also carry a lot of information.

Furthermore, the statement also assumes that the cable is the limiting factor in communication, which is not always the case. Other factors such as bandwidth, signal-to-noise ratio, and modulation techniques can also affect the amount of information that can be transmitted.

In conclusion, it is not accurate to say that digital signals have an advantage over analogue signals in terms of carrying more information. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, and the choice of which to use depends on the specific communication needs and limitations.

What is the difference between digital and analogue communications?

Digital communications use discrete signals to transmit information, while analogue communications use continuous signals. This means that digital signals can only have a limited number of values, while analogue signals can have an infinite number of values.

Which type of communication is more reliable?

Digital communications are generally considered to be more reliable than analogue communications. This is because digital signals are less susceptible to noise and interference, and can be easily corrected if errors do occur.

What are the advantages of digital communications?

Digital communications offer several advantages over analogue communications. These include the ability to transmit more information in a shorter amount of time, improved signal quality, greater security, and the ability to use error correction techniques.

Why are some forms of communication still analogue?

While digital communications have many advantages, there are still some situations where analogue communications may be preferred. This can include situations where cost is a factor, or where there is a need for long distance communication.

What does the future hold for digital vs analogue communications?

It is likely that digital communications will continue to dominate, as technology continues to advance and improve. However, there may still be a place for analogue communications in certain applications or industries. Ultimately, the future will depend on the specific needs and advancements in communication technology.