A cannon ball and a moving train.

In summary: So, the cannonball would not land where it was shot from if the cannon was positioned on top of the train.
dazzclub
Hi i was wondering if you guys could help me out on this i think i know the result but i would like to see if your guys agree.

heres the situation:

A cannon is positioned vertical on top of a moving train, the cannon shoots the ball straight up in the air. Where does the ball land, behind the train, next to the train or lands roughly in the same place where the ball was shot from.

cheers guys

Physics news on Phys.org
This would appear to be a variant upon the question of figuring out the bomb-release point for an aeroplane, except... you would have to supply a muzzle velocity and cannonball mass/shape. After all, if you shoot the thing fast enough it will never come back.

no details on variables sorry

hmmmm, I have no details on the variables used in this situation, but if we did, are we safe to say the cannon ball will land behind the moving train.

In no way will the ball land roughly in the same place where it was shot aka back on the moving train?

cheers

Hmm---assuming the train is in linear motion...and ideal+certain other conditions/assumptions...
Let [tex] \bar a [/tex] represent the average acceleration of the train between the times of "shooting of the cannon" and the "landing of the cannonball".

*If [tex] \bar a = 0 [/tex], the cannon will land in the same place from which it was shot (cannonball will hit the cannon if you don't move the cannon!).
*If [tex] \bar a > 0 [/tex], the the cannon will land behind the train.
*If [tex] \bar a < 0 [/tex] the cannon will land in front of the train.
:frown: I feel like I gave away the answer; I shall explain if need be

dazzclub said:
hmmmm, I have no details on the variables used in this situation, but if we did, are we safe to say the cannon ball will land behind the moving train.

If you explain what conditions there are for the motions of the train&cannonball...air resistance? constant accelerations? Apparently I have to make quite a lot of assumptions myself when answering this question (not familiar with the frame of reference you have not defined!:smile:)
b/c
This would appear to be a variant upon the question of figuring out the bomb-release point for an aeroplane, except... you would have to supply a muzzle velocity and cannonball mass/shape. After all, if you shoot the thing fast enough it will never come back.

Last edited:
dazzclub said:
Hi i was wondering if you guys could help me out on this i think i know the result but i would like to see if your guys agree.

heres the situation:

A cannon is positioned vertical on top of a moving train, the cannon shoots the ball straight up in the air. Where does the ball land, behind the train, next to the train or lands roughly in the same place where the ball was shot from.

cheers guys

Well, the cannon ball shot is a projectile right.

And we know that the horizontal velocity of a projectile is constant (assuming that the air resistent is zero).

Now when the cannon ball is shot from the cannon (vertically upwards) then the horizontal velocity of the cannon ball relative to that of the train will be zero (note: we are assuming that the train is not accelerating).

So, range of the cannon ball (the projectile) will be equal to the displacement of the cannon ( i.e. the place where the ball was shot from).

Hence, the ball will land roughly on the same place where the ball was shot from.

If neglecting resistance, the train does not accelerate and the cannon is perfectly vertical, the cannon ball will have the same horizontal speed as the train. Therefore it will land approximately in the same place it was fired from.

It's much like jumping in a train moving uniformly. Next time you're in the train, jump up, and take notice of where you land. Do you think you'll end up at the back of the train because the train is moving forward? Dont think so.

The train is a closed inertial system, much like the Earth (i.e. your frame of reference is the train, not the outside of the train).

catalyst55 said:
It's much like jumping in a train moving uniformly. Next time you're in the train, jump up, and take notice of where you land. Do you think you'll end up at the back of the train because the train is moving forward? Dont think so.

The train is a closed inertial system, much like the Earth (i.e. your frame of reference is the train, not the outside of the train).

Hmm... but the question was about a cannon positioned on TOP of a moving train so it is not at all like jumping INSIDE a moving train. The train and the air inside the train are moving at totally different speeds in relation to the air outside of the train. Therefore if you shoot away from the moving object and it's moving air and into the air that is not moving with train you end up with a great deal of resistance. Of course, this problem cannot be answered accurately without more information but I think the basis of the original question was just whether or not the cannon ball would land back on the cannon... I say not even close, but can't say for sure where it would land.

Now, if I were standing next to the train tracks and observed someone firing a cannon ball into the air as the train as it passed, I do not think it could be accurately predicted where the ball would hit the ground without more details.

Coriolis effect and Gravity will dramatically impact ( sorry for the pun) on where the round ends up...

1. What happens when a cannon ball is fired from a moving train?

When a cannon ball is fired from a moving train, it will continue to move with the same horizontal velocity as the train, but also have its own vertical velocity due to the force of the cannon. This results in a curved path known as a projectile motion.

2. Will the cannon ball hit the train if both are moving?

It depends on the speed and direction of the train and the angle at which the cannon ball is fired. If the train is moving at a similar speed and direction as the cannon ball, it is possible for them to collide. However, if the train is moving in a different direction or at a significantly faster speed, the cannon ball will likely miss the train.

3. How does the velocity of the train affect the trajectory of the cannon ball?

The velocity of the train only affects the horizontal component of the cannon ball's velocity. The vertical component is solely determined by the force of the cannon. However, the train's velocity will affect the overall distance the cannon ball travels, as it will continue to move with the train's horizontal velocity after being fired.

4. Can the cannon ball's trajectory be predicted accurately?

Yes, the trajectory of the cannon ball can be predicted using the principles of projectile motion and knowing the initial velocity and angle at which it was fired. Factors like air resistance and wind may slightly affect the trajectory, but with precise measurements and calculations, the trajectory can be predicted accurately.

5. How does the weight of the cannon ball affect its trajectory when fired from a moving train?

The weight of the cannon ball does not significantly affect its trajectory when fired from a moving train. As long as the force of the cannon is consistent, the weight will not have a major impact on the velocity or path of the cannon ball. However, a heavier cannon ball may have a slightly longer flight time due to its greater inertia.