Wheres the reaction in an ice skater who thrust sidewards with parallel skates

In summary, when skating with parallel skates, the skater must lean forwards and tip their skates forward in order to propel themselves forwards. This is similar to how a rollerblader moves forwards. Additionally, the skater can gain speed by turning and changing direction, but only by angling their blades later on. Finally, for race competitions, the skater must glide with fixed angle stroking in order to maintain their speed.
eosphorus
when you walk the reaction of your thrust is the Earth going very slightly in the other sense

but how can an ice skater that having the skates perfectly parallel while thrusting pushes sidewards and advances forward besides taking into account that being the skates parallel the longitudinal force tends to 0

so is the ice skating keeping the skates parallel to thrust a case where the reaction is sidewards instead of backwards or what?

how is the Earth pushed backwards by the ice skater while keeping the skates parallel and thrusting sidewards to go forward?

Physics news on Phys.org
A skater cannot be pushed forward by parallel skates. They must be angled somewhat away from each other.

russ_watters said:
A skater cannot be pushed forward by parallel skates. They must be angled somewhat away from each other.
PMSL! Noooo no no no. All the skater needs to do in order to push forwards (with parallel skates) is to lean forwards (putting his weight forwards) whilst tipping his skates forward also. The same concept goes with roller blades as I am a roller blader. :uhh:

You can even accomplish forwards thrust with skateboards (as they have parallel wheels) no? I do this all the time and I don't even need to use my foot to push forwards. I can start off by just pushing my weight forwards whilst totally on the skateboard. Momentum and weight transfer does the rest. :approve: Can even do this with snowboards (on flat ground) by just using forwards weight transfer (although its harder because there are no wheels -- but 'tis possible). :rolleyes:

If you want to gain speed though by turning and changing direction, you have to angle the blades later on whilst using thy knees to use weight transferring for momentum. :rofl:

Last edited:
PhysicsEnthusiast said:
PMSL! Noooo no no no. All the skater needs to do in order to push forwards (with parallel skates) is to lean forwards (putting his weight forwards) whilst tipping his skates forward also. The same concept goes with roller blades as I am a roller blader. :uhh:

If you want to gain speed though, you have to angle the blades later on whilst using thy knees to use weight transferring for momentum. :rofl:

You can even accomplish forwards thrust with skateboards (as they have parallel wheels) no? I do this all the time and I don't even need to use my foot to push forwards. I can start off but just pushing my weight forwards whilst totally on the skateboard. Momentum and weight transfer does the rest. :approve: Can even do this with snowboards (on flat ground) by just using forwards weight transfer (although its harder because there are no wheels -- but 'tis possible). :rolleyes:
This is not true. The skater can not begin moving simply by leaning foward. The only thing this will accomplish is moving the normal force farther and farther up on the skates until it can't go any farther and the skater begins to rotate. The skater must either push sideways or very slowly try to begin walking slowly enough that the force of static friction between the blade and the ice will be sufficient to push him foward.
I've seen skateboarders move themselves foward without kicking. They always tack back and forth diagonaly.

LeonhardEuler said:
This is not true. The skater can not begin moving simply by leaning foward. The only thing this will accomplish is moving the normal force farther and farther up on the skates until it can't go any farther and the skater begins to rotate.

Errr no. The skater can begin slowly moving (although limitedly) by simply leaning forwards with the help of his arms outwards infront of his torso (shifting his weight forward). One also needs to use his knees to spring forwards in order to generate forwards momentum.

He would however need to gain much more speed by using his back foot to push forwards. Another term for this is forward sculling or forward (straight-line or fixed-angle) stroking. It is a basic skill taught at the beginner's level. There are also different kinds of forwards stroking also. :yuck:

For race competitions though, like in speed skating, they need to run with their skates from the startline and then glide afterwards with fixed angle stroking to maintain their speeds (for a limited time of course). :tongue2:

http://home1.gte.net/pjbemail/ForwardStroke.html :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
this link clearly states that after the start the skates are kept parallel at all times and it coincides with my experience , you can thrust with parallesl skates

http://www.bcso.bc.ca/resources/Athlete%20Resources/Speed%20Skating%20Drill%20Book.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
isn't it your own weight?

1. What is the reaction in an ice skater who thrusts sidewards with parallel skates?

The reaction in an ice skater who thrusts sidewards with parallel skates is a combination of centrifugal force and the force of gravity pulling the skater towards the ground. When the skater pushes off the ice with their skates, the equal and opposite reaction propels them in the opposite direction.

2. How does the ice skater maintain balance while thrusting sidewards?

The ice skater maintains balance while thrusting sidewards by keeping their body centered over their skates and using their arms and core muscles to stabilize their movements. The skater also adjusts their weight distribution to counteract any imbalances caused by the thrusting motion.

3. Can an ice skater change direction while thrusting sidewards?

Yes, an ice skater can change direction while thrusting sidewards by shifting their weight and adjusting the angle of their skates. By leaning in the desired direction and pushing off with one skate while lifting the other, the skater can change the direction of their motion.

4. How does the surface of the ice affect the reaction of an ice skater thrusting sidewards?

The surface of the ice plays a crucial role in the reaction of an ice skater thrusting sidewards. A smooth and well-maintained ice surface allows for better gliding and reduces friction, allowing the skater to achieve greater speed and momentum with their thrusting motion.

5. Are there any safety concerns when performing a thrusting move on ice skates?

Yes, there are safety concerns when performing a thrusting move on ice skates, as with any physical activity. It is essential for the skater to have proper training and technique to avoid injury. It is also crucial to wear appropriate protective gear, such as a helmet, to prevent head injuries in case of a fall.