What causes the rare phenomenon of simultaneous water spouts in Lake Michigan?

In summary, two videos have been shared discussing the phenomenon of water spouts seen in Lake Michigan and Lake Erie. The first video shows rare footage of six simultaneous or nearly simultaneous water spouts, while the second video shows a vortex over Lake Erie. The conversation also mentions a personal experience with a triplet of water spouts and the potential danger they pose, as well as the possibility of vortices being common under certain conditions. The conversation ends with a comment on the increasing number of videos capturing tornadoes and its impact on charity.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
See also this interesting video of a vortex.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=85552

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a triplet of water spouts over Lake Erie when I was a kid! I was fascinated and enthralled by them but my mother insisted, in no uncertain terms, on pulling us kids off the beach immediately.

Tide said:
I saw a triplet of water spouts over Lake Erie when I was a kid! I was fascinated and enthralled by them but my mother insisted, in no uncertain terms, on pulling us kids off the beach immediately.

Some of the videos of tornadoes that people are getting these days are insane. I wonder how many great videos ended up in the tornado and were never found.

Wow. On the bright side, it's more publicity for their charity.
Does anyone know whether vortices are common under those conditions (in the second video)? It's completely new to me. :confused:

1. What is an unusual water spout activity?

An unusual water spout activity refers to a phenomenon where a column of water is lifted up from a body of water, such as a lake or ocean, into the air. This can occur due to factors such as strong winds or differences in temperature between the water and air.

2. How common is unusual water spout activity?

Unusual water spout activity is not very common, but it can occur in areas where there are strong weather patterns and changing conditions. It is more likely to occur in tropical regions and during certain times of the year.

3. Is unusual water spout activity dangerous?

While unusual water spout activity can be visually striking, it is generally not considered dangerous. However, if a water spout occurs close to shore, it can potentially cause damage to boats or structures. It is important to stay a safe distance away from any water spout activity.

4. Can unusual water spout activity be predicted?

There is currently no reliable way to predict when or where unusual water spout activity will occur. However, meteorologists and scientists are constantly studying weather patterns and conditions in order to better understand and potentially predict these phenomena.

5. What should I do if I encounter unusual water spout activity?

If you encounter unusual water spout activity, it is important to stay calm and move to a safe distance. Do not attempt to approach or interact with the water spout. If you are on a boat, it is best to navigate away from the area to avoid any potential damage. If you are on land, seek shelter and observe from a safe distance.