What is the coefficient of static friction of rubber on wood?

In summary, the coefficient of static friction between rubber and wood depends on the specific materials and can range from 0.7 to 2.42. For a more precise value, the CRC handbook of chemistry and physics can be consulted. Physics I textbooks typically do not include these values, but they can be found in Physics II textbooks such as Giancoli.
marshall4
what is the coefficient of static friction of rubber on wood?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the rubber and the wood. (Yeah, I know that's a cop out.) Check your text or for a table of coefficients, if this is for an exercise.

Originally posted by NateTG
Depends on the rubber and the wood. (Yeah, I know that's a cop out.) Check your text or for a table of coefficients, if this is for an exercise.

I checked my textbook, there's nothing, i can't find a good website either.

Didn't find it in my texts either :( You can check the CRC handbook of chemistry and physics at the library for a more precise value, but I think it's around 0.7.

Could rubber on wood be compared to rubber on wet concrete?

Originally posted by marshall4
I checked my textbook, there's nothing, i can't find a good website either.

In Physics I textbooks usually don't have them.

Check out Physics II Giancoli.

It says it's 1 - 4., so I'd say around 2.42

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the force required to initiate movement between two objects in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless quantity that describes the interaction between the surfaces of two objects.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction determined?

The coefficient of static friction is typically determined through experiments in which one object is placed on top of another and a horizontal force is applied until the object begins to move. The force required to initiate movement is then divided by the weight of the object to calculate the coefficient of static friction.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction depends on several factors, including the nature of the materials in contact, the surface roughness of the materials, and the amount of force being applied. It also varies depending on the orientation of the surfaces and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

4. What is the coefficient of static friction of rubber on wood?

The coefficient of static friction between rubber and wood can vary depending on the specific types of rubber and wood involved, as well as the conditions of the surfaces. However, on average, the coefficient of static friction for rubber on wood is between 0.5 and 1.0.

5. Why is the coefficient of static friction important?

The coefficient of static friction is an important factor in determining the stability and movement of objects in contact with each other. It is also essential in engineering and design, as it helps determine the amount of force needed to keep an object in place or to initiate movement between two surfaces.