How Do You Derive the Cartesian Equation from a Vector Function?

In summary: So, in summary, the conversation is about finding the Cartesian equation of a path described by a moving particle at time t. The vector equation given is ((e^t)+(e^-t))/2 i + ((e^t)-(e^-t))/2 j, and the task is to find the x and y components, which are not equal. The solution involves recognizing the form of the equations and solving for A and B, which can then be used to eliminate t and obtain the Cartesian equation.
gordda
i having so much trouble with this vector calculus question, someone please help.

At time t, a moving particle has position r(t)=((e^t) + (e^-t))/2 i + ((e^t) - (e^-t))/2 j.

a) find the cartesian equation of the path

I know all you have to do is let the i component to equal x(t) and then make t the subject, and then with the j component let it equal y and sub t into y. but i can't get t to be the subject in the equation.
someone please give it a go

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't get it how can you get that equation from the original equation?

This is because the coeffcient of the x-coordinate and the y-coordinate is the same: [tex]\left( {\frac{{e^t + e^{ - t} }}{2}} \right)[/tex]

Oerg said:
This is because the coeffcient of the x-coordinate and the y-coordinate is the same: [tex]\left( {\frac{{e^t + e^{ - t} }}{2}} \right)[/tex]

No, that's incorrect (or the original poster has edited the post since you wrote this). The vector equation is
[tex]\left(\frac{e^t+ e^{-t}}{2}\right)i+ \left(\frac{e^t- e^{-t}}{2}\right)j[/tex]

The x and y components are not equal. It should be easy to see that the x-component is cosh(t) and the y-component is sinh(t). Now, use an identity: cosh2(t)- sinh2(t)= 1 so that x2-y2= 1, a hyperbola (in fact, that's why those called "hyperbolic" functions!).

If was not "easy" :biggrin: to see that [itex]\frac{e^t+ e^{-t}}{2}= cosh(t)[/itex] and that [itex]\frac{e^t- e^{-t}}{2}= sinh(t)[/itex], then it is a little harder: (et+ e-t)2= e2t+ 2+ e-2t. (You see how the et and e-t cancel when you mutiply them?)
Similarly, (et-et)2= e2t+ 2+ e-2t. Subtract those and you just get 4 (which is why you need "2" in the denominators).

Halls already knew where this was going; that's how he figured out to do it that way. :smile:

If I had not already known where this was going, the first thing I would do is to recognize that you have two things of this form:

x = A + B
y = A - B

(for your actual problem, A = exp(t) / 2 and B = exp(-t) / 2)

You might recognize that it's easy to isolate A and B by adding and subtracting the equations respectively. If not, you might recognize this is a system of two linear equations in A and B, which can then be solved by A and B.

So, in any case, the first thing I would have done is exactly that:

x + y = 2A
x - y = 2B

so:

exp(t) = x + y
exp(-t) = x - y

And then, it should be clear how to get rid of t!

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their derivatives. It combines the concepts of vectors, differentiation, and integration to analyze and solve problems related to physical phenomena such as motion, force, and gravity.

2. How is vector calculus used in science?

Vector calculus is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to describe and analyze physical phenomena, such as fluid flow and electromagnetic fields. It is also used in optimization problems and machine learning algorithms.

3. What are the basic operations in vector calculus?

The basic operations in vector calculus include vector addition, scalar multiplication, dot product, cross product, and differentiation and integration of vector functions. These operations are used to manipulate and analyze vector fields and their derivatives.

4. How do I solve a vector calculus problem?

To solve a vector calculus problem, you need to first identify the given vector field and the type of problem (e.g. finding the gradient, divergence, or curl). Then, you can apply the appropriate operations and mathematical formulas to find the solution. It is important to have a strong understanding of vector algebra and calculus concepts to solve these problems effectively.

5. What are some common applications of vector calculus?

Some common applications of vector calculus include analyzing and predicting fluid flow in engineering problems, modeling and simulating electromagnetic fields in physics, and creating realistic computer graphics for video games and movies. It is also used in geology to study the movement and deformation of Earth's crust.