What Is the Difference Between Passive and Active Voice in English?

• Thread starter Azuki
  • Start date
Passive voice puts emphasis on the subject rather than the object. In the first sentence, the subject is "I" and in the second sentence, the subject is "fast action movies".Active voice is more conversational and direct. It puts emphasis on the object rather than the subject. In the second sentence, the object is "I" and in the first sentence, the object is "fast action movies".So in summary, the difference between the two sentences is the use of passive voice versus active voice. Both are correct and convey the same meaning, but the second one is more commonly used in casual conversations.
Azuki
Hello, my name is Yude Azuki, a Japanese
I just finished an English course for begginners. Can you say me the difference between two sentence ?

*i have an extremely deep passion for fast action movies*
*I am completely addicted to fast action movies*

i feel that the first sentence not correct as the second and the second is more good to hear. Can you say me please ?Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think both are correct, and both have about the same meaning. For casual speaking, you would be more likely to hear someone say the second.

Also, you should use the word "tell" instead of "say" when you are asking someone to give you a response. For example: Can you tell me the difference?

Both have similar meaning, and both would be correct English. The second is more likely to be said in informal conversation, such as with your friends, to emphasize your excitement. The first one would be more formal sounding; you might use it when writing an essay instead of when conversing.

(Since you obviously would like to improve your English, in your question, instead of writing "Can you say me..." you should use, "Can you tell me..." :smile:)

Edit: mattmns beat me to the answer!

I think that the seccond one means that you just like fast-action movies;

I think the first one means that you respect things about fast-action movies

Azuki said:
Hello, my name is Yude Azuki, a Japanese
I just finished an English course for begginners. Can you say me the difference between two sentence ?

*i have an extremely deep passion for fast action movies*
*I am completely addicted to fast action movies*

i feel that the first sentence not correct as the second and the second is more good to hear. Can you say me please ?Thank you
What you are seeing is the difference between 'passive' and 'active' voice.

Both have the same meaning however 'passive' voice is more formal and not a conversational style.

1. What are the different meanings between connotation and denotation?

Connotation refers to the emotional or cultural associations that a word may have, while denotation refers to the literal or dictionary definition of a word.

2. How are homonyms and homophones different in meaning?

Homonyms are words that are spelled and pronounced the same, but have different meanings, while homophones are words that sound the same but have different spellings and meanings.

3. What is the difference between a synonym and an antonym?

Synonyms are words that have similar meanings, while antonyms are words that have opposite meanings.

4. Can words have multiple meanings?

Yes, many words can have multiple meanings depending on the context in which they are used.

5. How can understanding different meanings between words improve communication?

Understanding the nuances and variations in meaning between words can help individuals communicate more effectively and accurately convey their thoughts and ideas.