NewScientist: Most scientific papers are probably wrong

In summary, the new paper shows that most published scientific research papers are wrong and have a lower than 50% chance of being correct.
Telos
NewScientist: "Most scientific papers are probably wrong"

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7915

Most published scientific research papers are wrong, according to a new analysis. Assuming that the new paper is itself correct, problems with experimental and statistical methods mean that there is less than a 50% chance that the results of any randomly chosen scientific paper are true.

This is no surprise to me if we are considering papers in the social sciences. But I wonder what those of you in the other sciences think about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Somewhere out there, there is a paper that uses figures on the strength of a certain dental material that were obtained by me in my garage. I find that to be rather scary! :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Somewhere out there, there is a paper that uses figures on the strength of a certain dental material that were obtained by me in my garage. I find that to be rather scary! :biggrin:

:mad: :mad: :mad: And I built my garage with that dental material!

Pengwuino said:
:mad: :mad: :mad: And I built my garage with that dental material!

As long as you don't bite it you'll be fine. :biggrin:

mmm... that might be hard. I didn't have a lot of plaster... so i used cookie dough.

Telos said:
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7915

Most published scientific research papers are wrong, according to a new analysis. Assuming that the new paper is itself correct, problems with experimental and statistical methods mean that there is less than a 50% chance that the results of any randomly chosen scientific paper are true.

This is no surprise to me if we are considering papers in the social sciences. But I wonder what those of you in the other sciences think about this?
This result was obtained in a scientific research paper. The results of scientific research papers have a greater than 50% chance of being wrong. Therefore, there is a greater than 50% chance that the conclusion is wrong. This implies that there is actually not a greater than 50% chance that it is wrong. Since it is probably not wrong, then the conslusion is probably true, which means it is probably wrong... :confused:

Yeah, emphasis on the "assuming that the new paper is itself correct" in the original article.

1. What does it mean when it is said that most scientific papers are probably wrong?

It means that a large percentage of scientific research studies may contain errors or inaccuracies that could affect their conclusions.

2. How can we determine if a scientific paper is wrong?

There are several ways to determine if a scientific paper is wrong, including replicating the study, conducting peer reviews, and identifying any potential biases or flaws in the research methods.

3. Why are there errors in scientific papers?

Errors in scientific papers can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as flawed study designs, biases, selective reporting of results, and inadequate statistical analysis.

4. Is this a new phenomenon or have scientific papers always been prone to errors?

While the issue of errors in scientific papers has gained more attention in recent years, it has always been a potential problem in research studies. However, advancements in technology and increased scrutiny have brought this issue to the forefront.

5. What can be done to reduce the number of errors in scientific papers?

To reduce errors in scientific papers, researchers should follow rigorous and transparent methods, conduct peer reviews, and replicate studies. Additionally, journals and institutions can implement stricter guidelines for publication and funding based on the quality of research.