Geometry: What Theorem Is This?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theorem or lemma that states when two lines intersect, the resulting vertical angles are equal. The angles are defined as AHC, BHD, AHD, and BHC and the theorem also requires that AHB and CHD are collinear. There is no consensus on the name of this theorem, but it is commonly referred to as the "vertical angles are equal" theorem or the "vertical angles theorem". The notation AHB and CHD may be used to indicate that H is between A and B, and H is between C and D respectively.
wubie
Hello,

I cannot remember what the theorem is in which the following happens:

Given two lines l and m which intersect each other, let H be the point of intersection.

Let A and B be points on the line l such that AHB are colinear. And let C and D be points on the line m such that CHD are colinear.

Now what is the theorem/lemma/corollary which states that when two such lines intersect in such a way that

angle AHC = angle BHD

and

angle AHD = angle BHC ?

I need to quote it for a proof that I am doing. I can't remember for my life. And I can't seem to find it in my notes/text. It's not a big problem, I would just like to quote it properly.

Any help is appreciated. Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
You also need A*H*B and C*H*D (H is between A and B, and H is between C and D). The theorem is called the vertical angles theorem.

vertical angles

Don't know if it has a catchy name. How about the "vertical angles are equal" theorem? (The angles you mentioned are called vertical angles.)

edit: beaten again!

Thanks Hurkyl and Doc Al. By the way,

You also need A*H*B and C*H*D (H is between A and B, and H is between C and D).

Isn't that implied with the notation AHB and CHD and stating that they are colinear on their respective lines l and m?

Cheers.

I haven't seen such notation used before, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me that some would use it. As long as your teacher knows what it means. :smile:

Actually, once you have said "Let A and B be points on the line l" and said that H is the point where the two lines intersect, it is not necessary to say (again) that they are "collinear". I don't believe that just saying "AHB are collinear" is a standard way of saying that H is between A and B.

I think I see what you mean.

Would simply stating

Given two lines l and m which intersect each other, let H be the point of intersection.

Let AHB be points on the line l and let CHD be points on the line m.

have been adequate then?

1. What is a theorem in geometry?

A theorem in geometry is a statement that has been proven to be true based on a set of axioms and logical reasoning. It is an important tool in solving mathematical problems and is used to prove other theorems.

2. How are theorems named in geometry?

Theorems are typically named after the mathematician who discovered or proved them. For example, the Pythagorean Theorem is named after Pythagoras, who first proved it.

3. What is the difference between a theorem and a postulate in geometry?

A theorem is a statement that has been proven to be true, while a postulate is a statement that is accepted as true without proof. Postulates, also known as axioms, serve as the foundation for all other mathematical statements and theorems.

4. How do you prove a theorem in geometry?

To prove a theorem in geometry, you need to use deductive reasoning and logical steps to show that the statement is true based on the given axioms and definitions. This often involves drawing diagrams and providing written explanations to support your reasoning.

5. What are some commonly used theorems in geometry?

Some commonly used theorems in geometry include the Pythagorean Theorem, which relates to the sides of a right triangle, and the Angle-Side-Angle (ASA) Congruence Theorem, which states that if two triangles have two congruent angles and a congruent side between them, then the triangles are congruent.