Please help this is a last resort

• Thread starter coalonso
  • Start date
In summary, the girlfriend has missed a day of class and is struggling with some physics problems that she and her partner have been unable to solve despite extensive searching. They are looking for any help or detailed explanations on Newton's Laws and how to form the equations. They have already searched multiple sources and even looked for a tutor, but have not found anything helpful. The conversation ends with some links that may potentially provide some assistance.
coalonso
Ok first off I am posting this for my GF she missed a day of class and has become lost on some of the things that were covered that day I have done every search I can think of and come up with nothing... I am going to post a few scans from the problems she and I cannot figure out for the life of me..

http://img425.imageshack.us/img425/3387/img0011fi.jpg

http://img425.imageshack.us/img425/9664/img0029pr.jpg

We have tried everything we can think of and every search we can think of. I am not trying to get answers because that won't help her with her test on thursday if anyone can direct me to what I should be searching for or any link with a detailed explanation of these problems and how to form the equation. We have found some of the information in tutorials on Newton's Laws but nothing detailed enough to solve the problems or even begin to form the equations..

I know this is probibley a long show that anyone will be able to respond in time but its really a last hope we can't even find a tutor for Physics in our area.

Thank you very much Brad...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Brad,

I understand your frustration and concern for your girlfriend's missed class and upcoming test. I can offer some guidance on how to approach these problems. Firstly, it is important to understand the basic concepts of Newton's Laws, which govern the motion of objects. These laws state that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Now, let's look at the first problem. In order to solve it, we need to identify the forces acting on the object, which in this case, is a car. We have the weight of the car acting downwards and the normal force of the ground pushing upwards. We also have the frictional force acting in the direction opposite to the motion of the car. The problem asks for the net force acting on the car, which is equal to the difference between the weight and the frictional force. You can use the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the car and a is the acceleration. Rearranging this equation to solve for a, we get a=F/m. You can then plug in the values for the net force and the mass to find the acceleration of the car.

For the second problem, we need to use the equation F=ma again to calculate the net force acting on the object. In this case, we have the weight of the object acting downwards and the tension force of the rope pulling upwards. The problem asks for the acceleration of the object, so we can rearrange the equation to solve for a, which is equal to the net force divided by the mass of the object. You can then plug in the values for the net force and the mass to find the acceleration.

In order to form the equations, it is important to identify the forces acting on the object and understand the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. I would recommend reviewing the concepts of Newton's Laws and practicing with similar problems to gain a better understanding. There are also many online resources and tutorials available that provide detailed explanations and examples of these concepts. I hope this helps and I wish your girlfriend the best of luck on her test. Remember, understanding the concepts is more important than just finding the answers

What does "Please help this is a last resort" mean?

"Please help this is a last resort" is a statement often used when someone is in a desperate situation and has exhausted all other options for assistance. It is a plea for urgent help and should be taken seriously.

Why is this statement used as a last resort?

This statement is used as a last resort because it implies that all other attempts at finding a solution to a problem have failed. It is usually a sign of desperation and a call for immediate help.

In what situations is this statement commonly used?

This statement is commonly used in situations where a person is facing a serious or urgent problem that they cannot solve on their own. This could include financial hardships, health emergencies, or other crises.

What should I do if someone says "Please help this is a last resort"?

If someone says "Please help this is a last resort" to you, it is important to take their words seriously and offer whatever assistance you can. It may also be helpful to ask them more about their situation and offer to connect them with additional resources.

How can I prevent a situation from becoming a "last resort"?

The best way to prevent a situation from becoming a "last resort" is to address problems and challenges as soon as they arise. It is also important to reach out for help and support from others before things become too overwhelming. Additionally, having a plan in place for emergencies can help prevent them from becoming a "last resort".