Real find both roots of the equation

• Thread starter UnD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary: If the solutions are different, then the roots are different and you can try to find the roots using the quadratic formula. Sorry I don't have more information to help!
UnD
x^2 +6x +k=0 has one root (a) where I am (a) =2, If k is real find both roots of the equation and k

So i got b+ 2i is the root

(b+2i)^2 +6(x+2i) +k=0
and after expanding it out, i have no clue what to do. Please help. THanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the quadratic formula and thinking about what comes underneath the square root in relation to Im(a) = 2

You know that if the roots are complex then the two roots are complex conjugates of each other. The sum of the roots is -6 (negative ratio of linear coefficient to quadratic coefficient) so you should be able figure out what what the real part has to be. Once you have a root you can find k.

UnD said:
x^2 +6x +k=0 has one root (a) where I am (a) =2, If k is real find both roots of the equation and k
So i got b+ 2i is the root
(b+2i)^2 +6(x+2i) +k=0
and after expanding it out, i have no clue what to do. Please help. THanks

I wish you had shown us what you got by expanding it! Clearly that "6(x+ 2i)" should be "6(b+ 2i)" but I don't know whether that's a typo or you actually left the x in your calculation.
Expand it out and set it equal to 0. For a complex number to be equal to 0, both real and imaginary parts must be 0. That gives you two (simple) equations for the two (real) unknown numbers, b and k.

sorry for bumping this topic

but could anyone please explain in detail how this question is done?

First try doing it yourself! You said "after expanding it out, i have no clue what to do." and I asked you to show what you got after expanding. You should get a complex number depending on b and k. As I said before, set real and imaginary parts equal to 0 and you get two equations for b and k. Solve those equations.

What is the "Real find both roots of the equation"?

The "Real find both roots of the equation" refers to the process of solving a mathematical equation to determine the values of the variable that make the equation true.

What are roots of an equation?

The roots of an equation are the values of the variable that satisfy the equation and make it true when substituted into the equation.

Why is it important to find both roots of an equation?

Finding both roots of an equation is important because it allows us to fully understand the behavior of the equation and make accurate predictions about its solutions and graph.

What is the difference between real and complex roots?

Real roots are values of the variable that are real numbers, while complex roots are values of the variable that are complex numbers. Complex roots always come in pairs, while real roots may or may not be paired.

How do you find both roots of an equation?

To find both roots of an equation, you can use various methods such as factoring, graphing, or using the quadratic formula. It is important to check your solutions by substituting them back into the original equation to ensure they are correct.