When I die, I want to become a diamond

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diamond
In summary: I think it was "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan".In summary, Lifegem creates synthetic diamonds from cremated remains. The process of turning carbon into diamond is straightforward and the resulting diamonds are of high quality. The company has plans for including memorial services for those who cannot afford to have their remains turned into diamonds. Prices range from $1000 to $5300 for launching a portion of the remains into low Earth orbit, or $12500 for launching them into deep space.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4751684/
With just eight ounces of cremated remains and a few thousand dollars, anyone can turn deceased loved ones into colorful carats. The first step is the cremation -- cremated remains contain the carbon needed to produce a synthetic diamond. These are not the first man-made diamonds, but the founders of Lifegem say they are the first to create them from the carbon from human remains. The process is straightforward: The carbon is heated, turned into graphite, and placed into a diamond press, where it is subjected to heat and pressure. Five months later... Grandma’s a gem!
http://www.lifegem.com/secondary/gallery2006/Pic6S.jpg
see also http://www.lifegem.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I could do that and the Evo child could wear me around her neck and when people ask her what it is, she can say "my mom". :approve:

I think that's terrible

nah, I've already got a special place for grandma's bones; I've been needing an ottoman for a while now...
http://www.sanctuaryofshadows.org/html/images/vault4/bonehouse_chandalier.jpg

OH mY GOD, SWERVE! :eek: :eek:

Evo said:
I could do that and the Evo child could wear me around her neck and when people ask her what it is, she can say "my mom". :approve:
I was thinking I would like to do this for both of my dear departed cats (they were cremated and I have their ashes) but it looks to be very, very expensive.

yes, but you can just call me Swerve:biggrin:

My grandma always says that she wants to be cremated and buried in a shoebox, no point in wasting money on the dead as she sees it. Maybe I could mix the ashes in some paint and plaster her on my wall...forever...and ever...and ever...

or maybe use use her as snuff!

I've always wondered, is it possible to use diamond flecks in a tattoo? Then you'd be one flesh:cool:

yomamma said:
I think that's terrible
Yomamma, you're a gem!:rofl:

I was just about to ask if anyone'd considered the ethical implications of this. I love the younger generations, such pure minds, not yet corrupted by the consumer culture of "silk and diamonds".

0TheSwerve0 said:
I've always wondered, is it possible to use diamond flecks in a tattoo? Then you'd be one flesh:cool:
Now there's an idea!

You know, since my family doesn't have the bucks to make me into a giant diamond when I shuffle off this mortal coil, perhaps I could settle for just being converted into graphite. I could enjoy a reincarnation as a #2 pencil. :biggrin:

Well, if I can't afford to be made into a gem, my second option is being stuffed.

Math Is Hard said:
Now there's an idea!
You know, since my family doesn't have the bucks to make me into a giant diamond when I shuffle off this mortal coil, perhaps I could settle for just being converted into graphite. I could enjoy a reincarnation as a #2 pencil. :biggrin:
Then I could use the pencil to draw a pichur of you!

MIH, you already are a beautiful gem.:tongue2:

juvenal said:
This is true, and her new Borg implants only add to the allure. Perhaps she should rename herself Seven Of Math.

I want to be either a Kingsford Briquette or a can of graphite lube.

zoobyshoe said:
Then I could use the pencil to draw a pichur of you!
I pitchur of you!

juvenal said:
Smooooooth... but I would revise it to something like:

MIH, you are a beautiful gem. :wink:

Evo: I think it is only fitting that we send you out King Tut style.:smile: The Evo exhibit could tour the world!

juvenal and Mk:awrrr!:!) :!) :!) you made my day happy! thank you!

Zooby: if you drew my picture with a pencil made out of me - whoa:eek: - that would be so unique and um..circular! Hey, that gives me a business idea - PM me! :rofl:

Ivan: A briquette? We could have one last great BBQ!:biggrin:

When I die, I want to have my remains launched into space (http://www.memorialspaceflights.com/intro.asp . It's cheaper than becoming a diamond.

Prices range from $1000 to $5300 dollars for having a portion of your remains launched into low Earth orbit. Objects in low Earth orbit are often visible just before sunrise or after sunset, so your relatives could check out heavens-above and watch you fly over once in a while. Of course, objects in a low Earth orbit eventually re-enter the atmosphere, giving one last fiery tribute before returning to Earth one last time.

Or, for about $12500, you could have your remains launched to the Moon or into deep space.

They even plan for contingencies. They only launch a tiny portion of your remains (1 gram to 7 grams) and keep a portion in reserve... just in case the rocket carrying your remains blows up on the pad, you know.

Edit: This is the same service launching "Scotty" (James Doohan) into Earth orbit in December.

I dunno, I always thought I would definitely not want to be shot up into space. Just in case your spirit lingers around your ashes... I would not like to be in space. Like being an astronaut on a spacewalk without a suit.

Ouch! :bugeye:
...^^
You'd look like that

Last edited:
BobG said:
They even plan for contingencies. They only launch a tiny portion of your remains (1 gram to 7 grams) and keep a portion in reserve... just in case the rocket carrying your remains blows up on the pad, you know.
To be honest, I'd rather have my remains re-cremated by 8 tonnes of rocket fuel than sent into space.

I'd like to have my carcass left out for the animals to eat. I've eaten a lot of them.

jimmysnyder said:
I'd like to have my carcass left out for the animals to eat. I've eaten a lot of them.
You should donate your body to the http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup/publicity/questbenecke.pdf . They lay your dead body out in the woods, or in the water, or in the mud, etc and then research how long after death each type of bug arrives to feed and live. You'll be contributing to law enforcement, making it easier to determine the time (or day) of death of a crime victim.

I'm an organ donor (if any of them still work). After harvesting, my ashes should be compressed with a binding agent and used to make a dildo. I then want to be reincarnated as the brass pole in a strip club. That should about cover all eventualities.

You could also donate your body to science or even to this unusual art exhibition, http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/pages/koerperspende.asp" . My biology teacher says she knows someone who signed up for the Bodyworlds body donation program because the exhibit tours all over the world and she "always wanted to travel". :smile:

zoobyshoe said:
This is true, and her new Borg implants only add to the allure. Perhaps she should rename herself Seven Of Math.
Actually, I am from the discontinued line of bad-at-math Borgs. I am called Seven of Three. :biggrin:

iv read that no sizable dimonds are naturaly 'perfect', they all have little particles in them and to make the gem look perfect they drill or laser out the little bit of whatever is there and fill in the wholes with liquid glass. i think it would be fun to get a jurnal and medical history recorded on a microscopic surface and put it in the whole with a couple cell's worth of DNA before they fill it in. instead of having an inscription on a head stone, just have something written on the surface of the diamond

Math Is Hard said:
Actually, I am from the discontinued line of bad-at-math Borgs. I am called Seven of Three. :biggrin:
That'll teach the Borg to assimilate Barbies.

I want my corpes to be launched out of a cannon at little children.:devil: Do anything with my body as long as it scares little kids! Oh! I HAVE A PLAN! If I die before the 31st we can hang my body from a tree in the PF lawn and scare trick-or-treaters from other forums! Then we can preserve my body so we can do it each Halloween!

i don't care what happens to me when i die

it would be cool if they took me to a taxidermist, then i could be put on display for being so sexy

Math Is Hard said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

and I have never seen a happy Borg.

devil-fire said:
iv read that no sizable dimonds are naturaly 'perfect', they all have little particles in them and to make the gem look perfect they drill or laser out the little bit of whatever is there and fill in the wholes with liquid glass. i think it would be fun to get a jurnal and medical history recorded on a microscopic surface and put it in the whole with a couple cell's worth of DNA before they fill it in. instead of having an inscription on a head stone, just have something written on the surface of the diamond
I thought that was a particularly cool idea! :smile:

Entropy said:
I want my corpes to be launched out of a cannon at little children.:devil: Do anything with my body as long as it scares little kids! Oh! I HAVE A PLAN! If I die before the 31st we can hang my body from a tree in the PF lawn and scare trick-or-treaters from other forums! Then we can preserve my body so we can do it each Halloween!
Naughty Entropy!:devil: :biggrin:
zoobster said:
That'll teach the Borg to assimilate Barbies.
Ivan said:
and I have never seen a happy Borg.
But at least now Borg's can accessorize. It was dreadful before! :biggrin:

Seven Of Three said:
Resistance is futile. Your life as it has been is over. From this time forward, you will service us
I'm curious to know how KenBorg reacted to this new, assertive BarbiBorg.