Statics: Equilibrium of Machines

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a bolt cutter and includes two pictures for reference. The problem involves finding the magnitude of Q, and the conversation goes through the steps of setting moments about two points and substituting in the value of By to solve for Q. There is also a clarification about the Bx component and the fact that AE is a 2-force member. The problem is deemed easy but the individual is unsure if they have solved it correctly.
physicsss
The problem is stated in the picture. And I drew the FBDs of the top half of the bolt cutter, as shown in the second page:

Setting moment about A to be 0, I obtain -Q(1 in)-FBy*4 in=0
And By= -Q/4 lb

Then setting moment about C to be zero. I obtain
FBy(0.5 in)-20 in(75 lb)=0
Substitute in By, I get the magnitude of Q to be 12000 lb.

UPDATE: PICS
Problem:
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/7535/1239zw.jpg
FBD's:
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/431/22cm.jpg Am I correct?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 986
  • 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 716
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What was the problem then?, it looks good to me (the procedure, i didn't do the arithmetic).

The problem just seems...too easy...

I was checking the problem again you forgot the Bx component when you did moment about C, it does have a moment, and the lever arm for 75 about c is 19.5

AE is 2-force member (so the reaction at A is only Ay), so that Bx is actually zero (due to the equilibrium eqs of AB). Then you can solve the rest of them.

Last edited:

1. What is statics and how does it relate to machines?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with objects at rest or in a state of equilibrium. In relation to machines, statics is used to analyze the forces and torques acting on a machine to ensure that it is in a state of equilibrium, meaning that all forces and torques are balanced.

2. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to the state of an object or system when it is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium refers to the state of an object or system when it is in motion at a constant speed and direction. In terms of machines, static equilibrium is important for ensuring stability and safety, while dynamic equilibrium is important for analyzing the motion and performance of the machine.

3. What are the common types of forces that act on machines?

The common types of forces that act on machines include applied forces, such as the force applied by a person or a motor, and reaction forces, such as the force exerted by the ground or a support. Gravity and friction are also important forces to consider when analyzing the equilibrium of machines.

4. How do you determine if a machine is in equilibrium?

To determine if a machine is in equilibrium, you must first draw a free body diagram, which is a visual representation of all the forces acting on the machine. Then, using the principles of statics, you can analyze the forces and torques to see if they are balanced or if there is a net force or torque acting on the machine, which would indicate that it is not in equilibrium.

5. What are some examples of machines that require equilibrium analysis?

Some examples of machines that require equilibrium analysis include bridges, cranes, and buildings. These structures must be in a state of equilibrium to ensure stability and safety. Other machines such as bicycles, cars, and airplanes also require equilibrium analysis to ensure proper functioning and performance.