What features should beginners look for when purchasing a telescope?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter chound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, a 6-8 inch beginner scope is best, though you can spend more money for a better scope if you want.
chound
What should I look for when I buy a telescope?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Aperature is good. You can't get too much aperature. Optical quality is also good. Anything worse than 1/4 wave correction is... junk. f-ratio should not exceed 8 [maybe 10 for a cat]. You'll otherwise quickly tire of lugging the thing around.

Its probably safe to assume this would be your first scope, since you have to ask. i would advise a 6 or 8 inch dobsonian mounted reflecter from either Meade or Orion, these are widely considered the best beginner scopes especially for the price, under $400 for the 6 inch, and under $500 for the 8 inch. You will not find a better price for the same quality (An 8 inch dobsonian from Meade was my first real scope, and I still use it 6 years later. Its a very good scope). Both companies sell good beginner combo kits that usually include a number of plossl or super plossl eyepieces (good quality eyepieces, though not top of the line)

I have a dobsonian from hardin, the deep space hunter, a 6 in. It is my first scope and I love it!:biggrin: :!) It is easy to use and I have a lot of fun using it. It doesn't have the fancy computer thingamajigs though. I don't really mind though, its kind of fun to have to actually learned the sky.

Cosmo16 said:
I have a dobsonian from hardin, the deep space hunter, a 6 in. It is my first scope and I love it!:biggrin: :!) It is easy to use and I have a lot of fun using it. It doesn't have the fancy computer thingamajigs though. I don't really mind though, its kind of fun to have to actually learned the sky.

The lack of computerized tracking and other features is a shortcoming for astrophotgraphy purposes, but for a beginner scope that shouldn't matter. For beginners, who want to learn basic observing, how to find things, and enjoy the night sky, a 6-8 inch is by far the best setup (maybe even a 10-12 inch if you're willing to spend the extra couple $100, though I wouldn't advise it unless you really know its something you're into. After all, you can always resell the first scope and upgrade later if you catch aperture fever, and you prolly will if you stick with it).

Chronos said:
Aperature is good. You can't get too much aperature. Optical quality is also good. Anything worse than 1/4 wave correction is... junk. f-ratio should not exceed 8 [maybe 10 for a cat]. You'll otherwise quickly tire of lugging the thing around.
The easiest thing to do with optical quality is stick with reputable manufacturers. Basically, anything that's got a full page advert in Astronomy Magazine, like Meade or Orion, and prolly a half dozen others that escape me for the moment.

franznietzsche said:
The lack of computerized tracking and other features is a shortcoming for astrophotgraphy purposes, but for a beginner scope that shouldn't matter. For beginners, who want to learn basic observing, how to find things, and enjoy the night sky, a 6-8 inch is by far the best setup (maybe even a 10-12 inch if you're willing to spend the extra couple $100, though I wouldn't advise it unless you really know its something you're into. After all, you can always resell the first scope and upgrade later if you catch aperture fever, and you prolly will if you stick with it).

Those are pretty much the reasons I bought it.

What should I consider before buying a telescope?

Before buying a telescope, you should consider your budget, the type of objects you want to observe, the size and portability of the telescope, and the level of experience you have with using telescopes.

What is the difference between reflector, refractor, and catadioptric telescopes?

Reflector telescopes use mirrors to gather and reflect light, while refractor telescopes use lenses. Catadioptric telescopes use a combination of mirrors and lenses. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to research which one is best for your needs.

How much does a good telescope cost?

The cost of a telescope can range anywhere from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars, depending on the type, size, and quality. It is important to set a budget and do thorough research before making a purchase.

Can I see planets and galaxies with a telescope?

Yes, you can see planets and galaxies with a telescope. The type and quality of your telescope will determine how much detail you can see. It is also important to have clear skies and the proper knowledge and techniques for observing these objects.

Do I need any additional equipment for my telescope?

Some telescopes may require additional equipment, such as eyepieces, filters, and a tripod or mount. It is important to research what is included with your telescope and what additional equipment may be necessary for your specific needs.