Calculating Failure Rate: 0.8 Reliability in 2000 Hours

In summary, the question asks for the reliability of a device over 2000 hours, however there is no information given about the size of the population or how many times the device is tested. Without those figures, it is difficult to calculate the failure rate.
scotchpie
I am currently studying for a business qualification I am stubling over a question.

It concerns calculating failure rate. The equation I know for this needs the number of failures over the total time.

However the question is: "A device has a reliability of 0.8 over 2000 hours, calculate the failure rate."

How can one firstly work of the number of failures from this? It doesn't give any other information, ie total sample size etc. just the reliability over 2000 hours.

Thanks
Andrew

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure 0.8 is the number of failures. To me it seems like the question gives the answer, but hen I guess I'm not sure what they are looking for. Wik has some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failure_rate
In words appearing in an experiment, the failure rate can be defined as

The total number of failures within an item population, divided by the total time expended by that population, during a particular measurement interval under stated conditions. (MacDiarmid, et al.)
So the population size would be 1, time is 2000 hours, and number of failures is .8.

Last edited:
I believe reliability means 'rate of success', i.e. it works reliably 0.8 or 80% of the time. So 1 is all the time, and 1-0.8=0.2 would be unreliability, which is related to the failure rate.

Look on the page for MIL-HDBK-217F
Reliability Prediction of Electronic Equipment- Notice F
http://www.weibull.com/knowledge/milhdbk.htm#200

One can download the pdf file.

Weibull.com is a good resource for statistics and statistical analysis.

Last edited:
"A device has a reliability of 0.8 over 2000 hours, calculate the failure rate."

Just to make this simple for you place it in your math formula like it says.

0.8/2000 0.8 over 2000 hours. The answer of the efficiency is very low, but it's the truth according to the math. .0004 per hour is the answer according to the information furnished. Gee, slave labor does better than an efficiency rating like that, and it sounds like someone needs to pay someone better wages to get the job done. The machine is malfunctioning - tell whoever asked the question to fix the machine or up their wages to fair.

For those of you who do not recognize significant numbers, in its stated form this is not a percentage. If someone meant it that way, their distinction is incorrect.

What is the reliabillaty per hour is what I think the equation boils down to.

Then stated as a failure rate in 20,000 attempts you only get 8 successes... that being the case expressed as a percentage, failure rate is 20,000/8 which is 2500% failure rate.

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of 0.8 reliability?

0.8 reliability refers to the probability that a system or component will function without failure for a specified period of time. In this case, it means that there is an 80% chance that the system will not fail within 2000 hours.

2. How is failure rate calculated?

Failure rate is calculated by dividing the number of failures during a given period by the total operating time of the system during that period. It is often expressed in failures per unit of time, such as failures per hour or failures per million hours.

3. What does a failure rate of 0.8 mean in terms of system reliability?

A failure rate of 0.8 means that for every 1000 hours of operation, there is an 80% chance that the system will not experience a failure. This indicates a relatively high level of reliability for the system.

4. Is a failure rate of 0.8 considered acceptable?

The acceptability of a failure rate depends on the specific industry and application. In some industries, a failure rate of 0.8 may be considered acceptable, while in others it may be deemed too high. It is important to consider the potential consequences of failure when evaluating the acceptability of a failure rate.

5. How can the reliability of a system be improved?

The reliability of a system can be improved by identifying and addressing the root causes of failures, implementing preventive maintenance and testing procedures, and using high-quality components. Regular monitoring and analysis of failure data can also help identify areas for improvement in the system's design or operation.