Can acute triangles satisfy this inequality involving sides and radius?

In summary, the conversation discusses an inequality involving a triangle and its corresponding circumscribed circle. There is a request for an elegant proof, but one person shares their proof which has an error. The error is later discovered and a restriction is provided for the inequality to hold for acute triangles.
tehno
For a triangle with sides a,b,c and its corresponding circle with radius R:

[tex]\frac{a^2b^2}{c^2} +\frac{a^2c^2}{b^2}+\frac{b^2c^2}{a^2} \geq 9R^2 [/tex]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is the corresponding circle? Inscribed or circumscribed?

Circumscribed of course (usually denoted by capital R).

Anybody?
I prooved it in a long and ugly way.
I'd like to see ,if possible,an elegant proof of it.

tehno said:
Anybody?
I prooved it in a long and ugly way.
I'd like to see ,if possible,an elegant proof of it.
me too.
and tehno, can you please post your proof or at least an outline of it?

murshid_islam said:
me too.
Nothing particularly smart.
I used substitution:
[tex]R=\frac{abc}{4P}[/tex]
where P is area of triangle with sides a,b,c.
I went to proove :
[tex]\frac{ab}{c^2}+\frac{ac}{b^2}+\frac{bc}{a^2}>\frac{9}{4}[/tex]
which I used along the way to proove the original inequality having on mind basic triangle inequality [tex]a+b>c[/tex].
After lot of algebraic work I arrived at the original inequality.

But can we somehow make a use something more elegant like a well known :
[tex]\frac{1}{a^2+b^2+c^2}\geq \frac{1}{9R^2}[/tex]

?

murshid_islam said:
me too.
It can't be possible you have a proof of it becouse the inequality is invalid!
Some things were odd and by closer inspection I found error in my proof.
The error helped me also to find an obvious counterexample when ineqality doesn't hold.Consider the triangle with following parameters:
[tex]a=b=1;c=\sqrt{3};R=1[/tex]

I will rewrite the expression in a trigonometric form and give a restriction.

[tex](sin(\alpha) sin(\beta) cosec(\gamma))^2+(sin(\alpha) cosec(\beta) sin(\gamma))^2+ (cosec(\alpha) sin(\beta) sin(\gamma))^2\geq\frac{9}{4}[/tex]

The restriction is the inequality holds for acute triangles.Now,when I fixed it,
proove the claim.

1. What is the definition of an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical expression that compares the values of two quantities, using symbols such as <, >, ≤, ≥, ≠. It is used to show a relationship between the quantities, indicating which one is greater or less than the other.

2. How do you derive an inequality?

To derive an inequality, you must follow the same steps as you would for solving an equation. However, when you multiply or divide both sides by a negative number, you must reverse the direction of the inequality symbol. Additionally, if you add or subtract a negative number, you must also reverse the direction of the inequality symbol.

3. What are the rules for manipulating inequalities?

The rules for manipulating inequalities are similar to those for manipulating equations. You can add, subtract, multiply, or divide both sides of the inequality by a number, as long as it is a positive number. When dealing with negative numbers, you must reverse the direction of the inequality symbol. Additionally, when multiplying or dividing by a variable, you must consider the sign of the variable.

4. How do you know when to use < or ≤ in an inequality?

The symbol < is used when comparing two quantities where the first quantity is strictly less than the second quantity. The symbol ≤ is used when comparing two quantities where the first quantity is less than or equal to the second quantity. It is important to carefully read the problem and determine the relationship between the two quantities before choosing the correct symbol.

5. What is the importance of inequalities in science?

Inequalities are important in science because they allow us to compare and analyze data, make predictions, and draw conclusions. They are commonly used in experiments and research studies, as well as in mathematical models to represent real-world situations. Inequalities also help scientists identify relationships and trends between variables, and make informed decisions based on the data.