Thoughts on a Mathematical Comp. Sci. Masters Program

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a Masters degree in Mathematical Computer Science and how it may benefit the person's career prospects. The person has a B.S. in Mathematics and is interested in working with computers, particularly in the field of computer science. They have come across a program at the University of Illinois at Chicago that aligns with their interests and are wondering how this degree would be viewed by potential employers compared to a traditional MS in Computer Science or Mathematics. They believe that the additional computational skills gained from the program would be valuable to employers. The person is seeking advice on whether pursuing this degree would be worth it and if it would provide better options for their career.
alligatorman
I will be graduating in a year with a B.S. in Mathematics, and will likely go into industry working with computers. I know how to program, and am fascinated with the mathematics of computer science (combinatorics, graph theory, algorithm analysis, etc).

I came across a masters program offered at the Univ of Illinois at Chicago, where I can get an MS in Mathematical Computer Science. (link http://www.math.uic.edu/graduate/degrees/msmcs" ) This sounds perfect for me, as it covers exactly what I'm interested in.

My question is: how would this degree look to employers, compared to someone with just a MS in Computer Science or Math? It would show that I am proficient with programming and that I know a lot of theory behind it all.

Would this be worth it? Would this give me better options than what I would have with just a Bachelors degree (and the relevant programming skills/coursework listed on my resume)?

Any advice would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it probably will be worth it. Mainly because of computational skills is always an asset to a company.

I believe that a Mathematical Computer Science Masters Program can be a great opportunity for you. It combines the practical skills of programming with the theoretical understanding of mathematics, which are both essential in the field of computer science. This program will not only enhance your knowledge and skills, but also make you stand out in the job market. Employers are always looking for candidates who have a strong foundation in both mathematics and computer science, and this program will provide you with just that.

In terms of how this degree would compare to a traditional MS in Computer Science or Mathematics, it may depend on the specific job or industry you are interested in. However, having a specialized degree in Mathematical Computer Science can definitely give you an edge and open up more opportunities for you. It shows that you have a deep understanding of the underlying principles and theories behind computer science, which is highly valued in many industries.

I would also recommend researching the specific courses and curriculum of this program to ensure that it aligns with your interests and career goals. It is always important to choose a program that will provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in your desired field.

In terms of whether it would be worth it, that ultimately depends on your individual goals and aspirations. If you are passionate about both mathematics and computer science and see yourself pursuing a career in this field, then I believe this program would be a valuable investment in your future. It will not only enhance your job prospects, but also provide you with a deeper understanding and appreciation for the intersection of these two disciplines.

Overall, I believe that a Mathematical Computer Science Masters Program can be a great choice for someone with a strong interest in both mathematics and computer science. It will provide you with a unique skillset and make you a highly desirable candidate in the job market. I wish you all the best in your decision and future endeavors.

1. What is a Mathematical Comp. Sci. Masters Program?

A Mathematical Comp. Sci. Masters Program is a graduate program that combines the fields of mathematics and computer science. It focuses on the theoretical aspect of computer science, such as algorithms, complexity theory, and logic, while also incorporating mathematical concepts and techniques. The program typically requires a strong background in both mathematics and computer science and prepares students for careers in research, academia, or industry.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a Mathematical Comp. Sci. Masters Program?

Some benefits of pursuing a Mathematical Comp. Sci. Masters Program include gaining a deep understanding of the theoretical foundations of computer science, developing strong problem-solving and analytical skills, and being prepared for a variety of careers in the tech industry. Additionally, this program can also provide opportunities for research and collaboration with professionals in both mathematics and computer science fields.

3. Is a Mathematical Comp. Sci. Masters Program a good fit for me?

This program may be a good fit for you if you have a strong interest in both mathematics and computer science, enjoy solving complex problems, and have a desire to pursue a career in research, academia, or the tech industry. It is important to have a solid foundation in both subjects and be prepared for a rigorous and challenging curriculum.

4. What kind of job opportunities are available for graduates of a Mathematical Comp. Sci. Masters Program?

Graduates of a Mathematical Comp. Sci. Masters Program can pursue a variety of job opportunities in fields such as software development, data analysis, cryptography, and artificial intelligence. They can also work in research roles in academia, government agencies, or private companies. This program provides a strong foundation for careers that require a deep understanding of computer science and mathematical principles.

5. Are there any specific prerequisites for a Mathematical Comp. Sci. Masters Program?

Most universities require applicants to have a strong background in mathematics, including courses in calculus, linear algebra, and discrete mathematics. They may also require a solid foundation in computer science, including programming, data structures, and algorithms. Some programs may also require applicants to have a Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field. It is best to check with the specific program for their specific requirements.