First Condition of Equilibrium

In summary, the problem involves moving a heavy crate using a rope tied to a wall. When a force of 100 lbs is applied to the midpoint of the rope, it stretches and moves the midpoint by 2 ft. To find the force on the crate, you need to analyze the forces acting on the midpoint of the rope and find the angle using the right triangle formed between the crate, original midpoint, and new midpoint. The tension in the rope is 31.61N.
acsin92
http://img369.imageshack.us/my.php?image=peng0038rn2.jpg

Question: To move a heavy crate across a floor, one end of a rope is tied to it and the other end is tied to a wall 30 ft. away. When a force of 100 lbs. is applied to a midpoint of the rope, the rope stretches so the midpoint moves to the side by 2ft. What is the force on the crate?
I tried using -T+w cos30+w cos 30 to get the force on the crate but now I know its wrong.
Then looking on the diagram, I can't seem to find what angle to use, since I think its one important detail on how to solve the problem. All I know is that the 100 lbs. is the tension applied to the rope and the weight of the crate was not given. Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
acsin92 said:
All I know is that the 100 lbs. is the tension applied to the rope and the weight of the crate was not given.
100 lbs is the force applied to the rope, not the tension in the rope. (The tension is what you're trying to find.) You don't need the weight of the crate.

Analyze a section of rope at the very midpoint. What forces act on it? Hint: Both sides of the rope pull at that point.

To find the angle, look at the right triangle formed between crate, original midpoint, and new midpoint. What's the horizontal distance from crate to midpoint? That's one side. What's the vertical deflection from horizontal? That's another side.

yeah i got it. T = 31.61N.

What is the First Condition of Equilibrium?

The First Condition of Equilibrium, also known as the Translational Equilibrium, states that the net force acting on an object must be equal to zero for the object to be in a state of equilibrium. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity in a straight line.

How is the First Condition of Equilibrium different from the Second Condition?

The First Condition of Equilibrium deals with the net force on an object, while the Second Condition, also known as the Rotational Equilibrium, deals with the net torque on an object. Both conditions must be satisfied for an object to be in a state of equilibrium.

How is the First Condition of Equilibrium used in real-life applications?

The First Condition of Equilibrium is used in various real-life applications, such as building structures, bridges, and even everyday objects like a book on a table. It helps engineers and designers determine the forces acting on an object and how to balance them to ensure stability.

What happens when the First Condition of Equilibrium is not met?

If the First Condition of Equilibrium is not met, the object will experience a net force and will either accelerate or decelerate. This means the object is not in a state of equilibrium and is experiencing unbalanced forces.

Can the First Condition of Equilibrium be applied to non-rigid bodies?

Yes, the First Condition of Equilibrium can be applied to non-rigid bodies as long as the net force acting on the object is equal to zero. This means that the object is in a state of static equilibrium, where the forces are balanced and the object is not moving.