How can I connect two lines in 3D with restricted degree of freedom?

• Thread starter m3x3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Lines
In summary, you can connect two endpoints together by finding the angles that must be used to make the connecting line.
m3x3

Homework Statement

Given two lines, in 3D, connected end to end with lengths L0 and L1, a point P0 where the first line starts, and a point P1 where you want the end of the second line to be at. Find the configurations of the lines that put the end of the second line at P1. You can restrict the degree of freedom on the lines.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can easily connect 2 end-points together, but it seems like there's more to this question than that. The "find the configurations" part indicates there's many solutions? And not sure about the "restrict the degree of freedom".

Pointers anyone?

Much appreciated!

EDIT: Removed doubled headings.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

m3x3 said:
… Find the configurations of the lines that put the end of the second line at P1. You can restrict the degree of freedom on the lines.

Hi m3x3! Welcome to PF! :wink:

You have two rigid rods of fixed lengths and fixed endpoints …

what are the possible configurations (positions)? :smile:

(but I don't understand, in this case, what they mean by "restrict the degree of freedom" :confused:)

Thanks! I've been an avid reader for quite some time and I thought it was about time to sign up! :)

I might have been looking at this for too long, because I still don't see it. So if I have two lines, one which I need to connect by its "end-point" to the other - how can there be many configurations/positions of that? Or is this a annoying trick question? In either case it's doing my head in... :)

Hi! :smile:

I think you're not understanding the question …

you have two metal rods, AB and BC, fixed at A and C, and jointed at B.

(obviously, AB + BC must be greater than AC)

Suppose A is vertically above C, and draw one position for B …

now where are all the other positions B can go into? :smile:

And remember that, as you title says, this is in three dimensions. Imagine holding one end of a rod in your left hand, the other in you right. The two rigid rods meet at some angle. Now swing them!

Thanks for your pointers guys, but I'm starting to think that I'm retarded as I just cannot get around this. So is it:

Code:
       /
   L2 /
     /          * P1
     \ 
      \
   L1  \
       * P0

So I need to find a way to connect the unattached end of L2 onto P1. And this I do by finding the degree of the angle of which I need to rotate L1 (around the connected joint) to attach it to P1?

m3x3 said:
So I need to find a way to connect the unattached end of L2 onto P1. And this I do by finding the degree of the angle of which I need to rotate L1 (around the connected joint) to attach it to P1?

Hi m3x3! :smile:

The join of L1 and L2 isn't given, so just ignore it …

just start L1 at P0, and L2 at P1, and use ordinary trigonometry to find the angles so that L1 meets L2. :wink:

Aaah! The pellet finally dropped, proving that indeed I am a retard, alternatively putting too much thought into it!

Thanks so much for the pointers, much appreciated!

m3x3 said:
Aaah! The pellet finally dropped …

is this the food pellet :tongue2: that they reward you with when you push the right button? :biggrin:

1. How can I connect two lines in 3D space?

To connect two lines in 3D, you can use the concept of a "line of intersection", which is the point where two lines in 3D space intersect. This can be found by solving the equations of both lines simultaneously. Alternatively, you can use a software program designed for 3D modeling to connect the lines.

2. Is it possible to connect two non-parallel lines in 3D?

Yes, it is possible to connect two non-parallel lines in 3D space. The key is to find the point of intersection between the two lines, which can be done by solving their equations simultaneously.

3. Can I connect two lines that are not in the same plane in 3D?

Yes, it is possible to connect two lines that are not in the same plane in 3D space. This can be done by finding the point of intersection between the two lines, which will be a single point in 3D space. You can use the equations of both lines to solve for this point.

4. What is the significance of connecting two lines in 3D?

Connecting two lines in 3D can be useful in various applications, such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics. It allows us to visualize and analyze the relationship between two objects or systems in 3D space.

5. Are there any limitations to connecting two lines in 3D?

There are a few limitations when it comes to connecting two lines in 3D space. One limitation is that the lines must be non-parallel in order to have a point of intersection. Additionally, if the two lines are skew (not in the same plane and not parallel), they may not have a point of intersection at all.