Problem with links to the library

• Bug
  • Thread starter sylas
  • Start date
In summary, the LaTeX code that is autolinking to the image is causing problems with quoting strings. Because of this, the table is not displaying properly. I suggest either closing the "\textrm" before "flux" or using "flux" gratuitously before getting to the LaTeX. The table shows that the energy balance is 239 W/m^2, the CO2 forcing is 3.7 W/m^2/2xCO_2, and the current CO2 increase is 2 ppm/year. The climate sensitivity is 3 ppm/W/m^2 and the temperature impact of CO2 is 0.022 K/year.
sylas
Science Advisor
Make sure that you have library autolinks enabled, and then have a look at [post=2162699]msg #1[/post] of thread "Estimating the impact of CO2 on global mean temperature"; in particular the LaTeX equation near the top, with the heading "The short form".

Here's what I see at present:
AutolinkBug.JPG

There's a lot of weird looking code sitting just above the table. I've looked at the html source, and the problem is that the LaTeX is an attempt to give a table, which includes as text the word "flux". The autolink system is adding an autolink to the library entry to the popup LaTeX code that goes with the image. This causes odd problems with quoting strings.

I'll see if I can reproduce the problem here:

Using the word flux:
[tex]\textrm{the flux is} \; 10 \; W/m^2[/tex]​

Using the word flow:
[tex]\textrm{the flow is} \; 10 \; W/m^2[/tex]​

Cheers -- sylas

Physics news on Phys.org
two solutions

sylas said:
… There's a lot of weird looking code sitting just above the table. I've looked at the html source, and the problem is that the LaTeX is an attempt to give a table, which includes as text the word "flux". The autolink system is adding an autolink to the library entry to the popup LaTeX code that goes with the image. This causes odd problems with quoting strings. …

Hi Sylas! :smile:

There's two ways of fixing it …

i] close the \textrm (btw, you can just type "\text" in PF :wink:) either immediately before "flux" (being careful to include the space before you close), or immediately after it, and reopen … that eliminates the space before, or after, "flux", so the autolink (which needs a space before and after) isn't activated

ii] gratuitously use " flux " before you get to the LaTeX … autolinking only works on the first appearance in each post.​

Here's two copies of your table, the first with the extra "\text", showing (I hope! :rolleyes:) no autolinking, and the second exactly as you posted it …

[tex]\begin{array}{lcll}
\textrm{Energy balance} & \approx 239 & W/m^2 & \textrm{(energy }\text{flux to, and from, space)} \\
\textrm{CO2 forcing} & 3.7 & W/m^2/2xCO_2 & \textrm{(change to balance per doubling)} \\
\textrm{Current CO2 increase} & 2 & ppm/year \\
\textrm{Current 2xCO2 per year} & \log_2(1+2/385) = 0.0075 & 2xCO_2 / year & \textrm{(using 385ppm for current levels)} \\
\textrm{Climate sensitivity} & 3 \pm 1.5 & K/2xCO_2 & \textrm{(Temperature response for forcings, to restore balance)} \\
\textrm{Temperature impact of CO2} & 0.022 \pm 0.011 & K/year & \textrm{Estimated contribution of CO2 to current warming trends}\end{array}[/tex]​
[tex]\begin{array}{lcll}
\textrm{Energy balance} & \approx 239 & W/m^2 & \textrm{(energy flux to, and from, space)} \\
\textrm{CO2 forcing} & 3.7 & W/m^2/2xCO_2 & \textrm{(change to balance per doubling)} \\
\textrm{Current CO2 increase} & 2 & ppm/year \\
\textrm{Current 2xCO2 per year} & \log_2(1+2/385) = 0.0075 & 2xCO_2 / year & \textrm{(using 385ppm for current levels)} \\
\textrm{Climate sensitivity} & 3 \pm 1.5 & K/2xCO_2 & \textrm{(Temperature response for forcings, to restore balance)} \\
\textrm{Temperature impact of CO2} & 0.022 \pm 0.011 & K/year & \textrm{Estimated contribution of CO2 to current warming trends}\end{array}[/tex]​

EDIT: Cool, it worked! :cool:

Last edited:

Thanks... that will work. I'll ask someone to fix it for me in the post.

If it is easy to fix, it may be worth altering the autolinking code to check that it is not munging html... something for chroot in his no doubt copious free time. :tongue2:

Cheers -- sylas

sylas said:
Thanks... that will work. I'll ask someone to fix it for me in the post.

Done.

cristo said:
Done.

Wow. That was quick. Ta muchly!

1. Why am I receiving an error when trying to access links to the library?

There could be several reasons for this error. It could be due to a broken link, an issue with the library's server, or an outdated browser. It is also possible that the library has restricted access to certain links. You may need to troubleshoot or contact the library for further assistance.

2. How can I fix broken links to the library?

If the links are broken due to a technical issue, you can try refreshing the page or clearing your browser's cache. If the issue persists, you may need to contact the library for help. If the links are broken due to a change in the library's website, you may need to update the link address or search for the resource using a different method.

3. What should I do if I am unable to access links to the library from off-campus?

If you are unable to access links to the library from off-campus, it is likely because the library has restricted access to certain resources for security reasons. In this case, you may need to use a virtual private network (VPN) to access the links or contact the library for alternative access options.

4. Can I still access the library's resources if the links are not working?

If the links to the library are not working, you may still be able to access the resources by manually searching for them on the library's website or using a different search engine. You can also reach out to the library for assistance in finding the resources you need.

5. How can I report a problem with links to the library?

If you encounter a problem with links to the library, you can report it to the library's technical support team. They will be able to investigate the issue and provide a solution. You may also want to check the library's website or social media pages for any updates or announcements regarding known issues with links.