What is the mathematical topic related to finding gaps in a sequential list?

• Thread starter rtal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a gap in a sequence of numbers by summing and subtracting a known formula, and using processing power to add the numbers with a computer program. It is also mentioned that finding a gap of two numbers can involve adding squares as well and forming two equations with two variables, simplifying them into a quadratic equation with two roots. The topic falls under Diophantine equations in Number Theory, not Information Theory.
rtal
If I have a sequence 1,2,3,.. 1000. I can find a gap by summing up and subtrating from the sum of 1.. 1000 (usually with a known formula like n x (n+1) / 2 but with processing power I can just add 1 ... 1000 with a computer program).
If there is a two number gap, I can add squares as well and so have two equations with two variables
SumOfOneTo1000 - SumOfListWithGaps = x + y --- Equation 1
SumOfOneSquareTo1000Sequare - SumOfSquaresFromListWithGaps = sqr(x) + sqr(y) ---- Eq 2
Now I have two equations and two unknown and I can simplify that into a quadratic equation with two roots. The roots are x and y.
So I can a 2 number gap as well.
How far can I go with this logic meaning with cubes and 3 gaps etc.
What category does this problem fall under, is it information theory?
thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct, that you can form n equations of n unknowns of the form:

[tex] A_(1)^(i) + A_(2)^(i) + ... A_(n)^(i) = X_(i) [/tex] i = {1,2,...,n}.

But equations with i > 3 would fall in the category of higher algebra and would be difficult to solve.

Last edited:
ramsey2879 said:
would fall in the category of higher algebra

Yes, but since this is the Number Theory section, we should keep in mind that the solutions to these particular equations are known to be integers. The equations can be treated as Diophantine equations.

"Diophantine Equations" is the relevant mathematical topic, not "Information Theory". Information Theory takes place in a setting where there are probability distributions.

1. What is a gap in a sequential list?

A gap in a sequential list refers to a missing element or value in the list. This means that there is a break in the sequence and the list is not continuous.

2. How can gaps occur in a sequential list?

Gaps can occur in a sequential list due to a variety of reasons. Some common reasons include human error, data entry mistakes, missing data, or incomplete data sets. Gaps can also occur when there is a change in the sequence, such as when an item is removed from the list or when new items are added in between existing ones.

3. Why are gaps in a sequential list important?

Gaps in a sequential list are important because they can affect the accuracy and reliability of the data. They can also impact any analysis or calculations done on the list. Therefore, it is important to identify and address any gaps in the list to ensure the validity of the data.

4. How can gaps in a sequential list be identified?

Gaps in a sequential list can be identified by visually inspecting the list for any breaks in the sequence. They can also be identified by using software or programming languages to analyze the data and identify any missing values. Additionally, comparing the list to a known reference or standard list can also help identify any gaps.

5. How can gaps in a sequential list be fixed?

The method for fixing gaps in a sequential list depends on the cause of the gap. If the gap is due to missing or incomplete data, efforts should be made to collect and fill in the missing values. If the gap is due to a change in the sequence, the list may need to be re-ordered or adjusted to maintain continuity. In some cases, it may be necessary to remove the gap entirely and restructure the list to ensure accuracy and consistency.