Time-averages of superposition of waves.

In summary, when considering the superposition of two waves with a randomly varying phase difference, the time-averages of the two individual waves add up to the time-average of the superposition. This is due to the phase difference averaging out to zero over a long period of time.
Silversonic

Homework Statement

Consider the superposition of two waves;

[itex]\zeta_1 + \zeta_2 = \zeta_{01} e^{i(kr_1 - wt)} + \zeta_{02} e^{i(kr_2 - wt + ∅)} [/itex]

where [itex] ∅ [/itex] is a phase difference that varies randomly with time. Show that the time-averages satisfy;

[itex]<|\zeta_1 + \zeta_2|^2> = <|\zeta_1|^2> + <|\zeta_2|^2> [/itex]

Homework Equations

(1) If it wasn't clear, The two waves are;

[itex] \zeta_1 = \zeta_{01} e^{i(kr_1 - wt)} [/itex] and
[itex]\zeta_2 = \zeta_{02} e^{i(kr_2 - wt + ∅)} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Unless I have my definition of time-average wrong. I can't seem to get this to work.

[itex]|\zeta_1 + \zeta_2|^2 = (\zeta_1 + \zeta_2)(\zeta_1^* + \zeta_2^*) = |\zeta_1|^2 + |\zeta_2|^2 + \zeta_1\zeta_2^* + \zeta_2\zeta_1^* = |\zeta_1|^2 + |\zeta_2|^2 + 2\zeta_{01}\zeta_{02}cos(k(r_1 - r_2) - ∅)[/itex]

Then, I believe, the time average is given by;

[itex]\frac{1}{T}\int^T_0 {|\zeta_1|^2 + |\zeta_2|^2 + 2\zeta_{01}\zeta_{02}cos(k(r_1 - r_2) - ∅)} dt[/itex]

However, I don't see how this turns into the form I desire. It would require that the last term (containing the cosine) is time-averaged to zero. Can this be the case? Also, can [itex] ∅ [/itex] still even be considered a function of time when it varies RANDOMLY?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

First of all, I want to clarify that the time average is defined as the average value of a quantity over a period of time, not necessarily the integral over time. So, in this case, the time average of a quantity A would be given by:

<A> = (1/T)∫^T_0 A(t)dt

Now, let's look at the expression for <|\zeta_1 + \zeta_2|^2>. As you correctly stated, it can be expanded as:

<|\zeta_1 + \zeta_2|^2> = <|\zeta_1|^2> + <|\zeta_2|^2> + <\zeta_1\zeta_2^*> + <\zeta_2\zeta_1^*>

But, since the phase difference ∅ varies randomly with time, we can say that <∅> = 0, as it would average out to zero over a long period of time. Therefore, <\zeta_1\zeta_2^*> = <\zeta_1><\zeta_2^*> and <\zeta_2\zeta_1^*> = <\zeta_2><\zeta_1^*>, as the two waves are independent of each other.

Substituting these values in the expression for <|\zeta_1 + \zeta_2|^2>, we get:

<|\zeta_1 + \zeta_2|^2> = <|\zeta_1|^2> + <|\zeta_2|^2> + <\zeta_1><\zeta_2^*> + <\zeta_2><\zeta_1^*>

= <|\zeta_1|^2> + <|\zeta_2|^2> + <|\zeta_1|^2> + <|\zeta_2|^2>

= 2<|\zeta_1|^2> + 2<|\zeta_2|^2>

This shows that the time-averages of the two individual waves add up to the time-average of the superposition of the two waves.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a time-average of superposition of waves?

A time-average of superposition of waves refers to the average behavior of a wave system over a period of time. It takes into account the amplitude and frequency of each individual wave in the system and calculates the overall average behavior of the system.

2. How is the time-average of superposition of waves calculated?

The time-average of superposition of waves is calculated by taking the sum of the individual wave amplitudes at a specific point in time and dividing it by the number of waves in the system. This calculation is repeated for multiple points in time to get a more accurate average.

3. Can the time-average of superposition of waves change over time?

Yes, the time-average of superposition of waves can change over time as the individual waves in the system may have varying amplitudes and frequencies. This can cause fluctuations in the overall average behavior of the system.

4. What factors can affect the time-average of superposition of waves?

The time-average of superposition of waves can be affected by the amplitude, frequency, and phase of each individual wave in the system. It can also be affected by any external factors such as interference or damping.

5. What is the significance of calculating the time-average of superposition of waves?

The time-average of superposition of waves is important in understanding the overall behavior of a wave system. It can help predict future behavior and identify any patterns or changes in the system. It is also a useful tool in many fields such as acoustics, optics, and signal processing.