Register to reply

Thermal physics. Entropy's functional dependecy

Share this thread:
rar0308
Apr7-12, 02:43 AM
P: 54
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I'm reading Kittel&kroemer's Thermal physics. How can I know Entropy's functional dependency?
Author assume entropy's functional dependecy without explanations and derive some equaltities. So I can't follow it.

N the number of particles. U Energy of the system. V. volume of the system [itex]\tau[/itex] fundamental temperature
[itex]\sigma(N,U)[/itex], [itex]\sigma(\tau,V) etc...[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
George Jones
Apr7-12, 10:47 AM
Mentor
P: 6,232
On what page(s) does this occur?
rar0308
Apr7-12, 09:41 PM
P: 54
2nd edition p66~p67, p43. "" is what author says.
p66 "The number of states and thus the entropy depend only on U and on V, for fixed number of particles," I don't know why the number of states depend on on U and V.
In chapter2 multiplicity thus entropy is function of U and N. p43 "The entropy may depend on additional independent variables" I don't know in what circumstance the entropy depend on what variables.
p67 "If we denote these interdependent values of dU and dV by [itex](\delta U)_{\sigma}[/itex] and [itex](\delta V)_{\sigma}[/itex], the entropy change will be zero." I don't know why it's possible to assume constant entropy and make U and V be interdependent.

Register to reply