How can I solve sin(t^2)-(t^2)=0 without a numerical solver?

• Thread starter wutang42
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation sin(t2) - t2 = 0 for t. The person asking the question has attempted to solve the problem using a numerical solver, but has encountered discrepancies between the solutions given by Wolfram Alpha and their TI-89 calculator. After further examination, it is discovered that the issue was due to the calculator being in degree mode instead of radian mode.
wutang42

Homework Statement

Solve
sin(t2) - t2 =0. for t

Homework Equations

None, besides various trig identities. This was actually a dynamics problem where I had to solve for time, and this is simply the equation you get after summing up all the forces.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now obviously 0 is a solution, and when I plug it into wolfram alpha I get t=1.04, which I know is the correct answer because my professor told us that in class. However, when I plug it into my TI-89, the only solution that comes out is 0, and when I graph it, it doesn't show the 1.04 solution either.
So, my question is, is there any way to solve this problem without a numerical solver? And if not, is there any way to plug it into my TI 89 in order to get the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
wutang42 said:

Homework Statement

Solve
sin(t2) - t2 =0. for t

Homework Equations

None, besides various trig identities. This was actually a dynamics problem where I had to solve for time, and this is simply the equation you get after summing up all the forces.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now obviously 0 is a solution, and when I plug it into wolfram alpha I get t=1.04, which I know is the correct answer because my professor told us that in class. However, when I plug it into my TI-89, the only solution that comes out is 0, and when I graph it, it doesn't show the 1.04 solution either.
So, my question is, is there any way to solve this problem without a numerical solver? And if not, is there any way to plug it into my TI 89 in order to get the correct answer?

t=1.04 can't possibly be a solution because

[tex]\sin(t^2)-t^2 < 0[/tex]

for that value of t. How can you tell? Because the max sin can be is 1, and 1.042>1.

for small radian values sin(x) ≈ x hence
and that's probably the best you can do.

Shoot, I realized that I misstated the problem. It's actually 1.225*sin(t2) - t2 =0

But yeah, I realize that it still doesn't make much sense, but this is the answer and the graph that wolfram alpha spits out, and I'm just trying to figure out how to replicate that either on paper or on my calculator

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-08 at 10.10.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-08 at 10.10.34 AM.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 500
wutang42 said:
Shoot, I realized that I misstated the problem. It's actually 1.225*sin(t2) - t2 =0

But yeah, I realize that it still doesn't make much sense, but this is the answer and the graph that wolfram alpha spits out, and I'm just trying to figure out how to replicate that either on paper or on my calculator

Why doesn't it make much sense? Your graph clearly shows zeroes near ##\pm 1##. You could work it by hand with your calculator using Newton's method with a starting value of ##x=1##. Make sure your calculator is in radian mode.

LCKurtz said:
Why doesn't it make much sense? Your graph clearly shows zeroes near ##\pm 1##. You could work it by hand with your calculator using Newton's method with a starting value of ##x=1##.Make sure your calculator is in radian mode.

Aaaaand there's my problem. I was doing it in degrees the whole time on my calculator, and couldn't figure out why my graph looked nothing like the wolfram graph. Derp. Thanks!

wutang42 said:
Aaaaand there's my problem. I was doing it in degrees the whole time on my calculator, and couldn't figure out why my graph looked nothing like the wolfram graph. Derp. Thanks!

Common mistake :wink: I've done it enough times myself that it's now on my checklist of things that could have gone wrong.

1. What does the equation sin(t^2)-(t^2)=0 represent?

The equation represents the solution for when the sine function is equal to the square of the variable t. In other words, it is the value of t which makes the equation true.

2. How do you solve sin(t^2)-(t^2)=0?

To solve this equation, you can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities. One method is to rewrite the equation as (sin(t^2) - t^2) = 0 and then use the fact that sin^2(x) = 1 - cos^2(x) to get (1 - cos(t^2)) - t^2 = 0. From there, you can use substitution and solve for t.

3. Can you use a calculator to solve sin(t^2)-(t^2)=0?

No, a calculator cannot be used to solve this equation as it requires algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities. However, a calculator can be used to verify the solution after it has been found.

4. Are there multiple solutions to sin(t^2)-(t^2)=0?

Yes, there are multiple solutions to this equation. The equation is a transcendental equation, meaning it does not have a finite number of solutions. In fact, it has an infinite number of solutions.

5. How can solving sin(t^2)-(t^2)=0 be applied in real life?

This equation can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It can be used to find the roots of a function or to solve for unknown variables in equations involving trigonometric functions.