My engine was smoking the other day

• Automotive
  • Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine
In summary, the mechanic suspects a brake fire and a possible engine oil leak. He recommends a check of vital fluid levels and a look under the hood.
Kutt
I was stopped at a red light and there was some smoke coming out of the engine compartment of my car.

There is also a slight burning smell.

This is definitely not good. If you are a mechanic or automotive engineer, what is your take on this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
did you check fluid levels of radiator?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the first thing to do is stop driving it and look under the bonnet.

1. What colour is the smoke? And where exactly is it coming from?
2. What are all your vital fluid levels like?

Are there any other symptoms?

If the smoke smells like oil, that could be a sign that a head gasket needs replacing. If the smoke is light-colored and slightly "sweet", that could be a sign of leaking coolant. You've got to look at the engine to see what's up. Leaking coolant could be as simple and cheap-to-fix as a loose or split hose. Much better than a head gasket or (worse!) a cracked head.

turbo said:
If the smoke smells like oil, that could be a sign that a head gasket needs replacing. If the smoke is light-colored and slightly "sweet", that could be a sign of leaking coolant. You've got to look at the engine to see what's up. Leaking coolant could be as simple and cheap-to-fix as a loose or split hose. Much better than a head gasket or (worse!) a cracked head.

Along with the smoke, there is a very pungent burning smell. I had to pull of the road and check my car because I thought that it was on fire.

Last edited:
Did you figure out where the "smoke" was coming from? That's pretty critical if you want help.

Mighty skimpy observations from which to diagnose.

Pungent smell? Smoke? No other symptoms?
My guess - brake fire. Flex hose between a front caliper and chassis is deteriorated or damaged. When that happens they can allow flow in only one direction. That brake cannot release so it gets extremely hot.
You might have noticed a pull to one side for a while before the smoke..
If you've had brake work recenty - it is not difficult to twist that hose when re-installing calipers and cause that situation.

A quick inventory of common fluids that could be in close proximity to the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe is in order.
The exhaust manifold at the cylinder head would have 900 degrees F and dip to 200 F at the end of the exhaust pipe. The entire exhaust system would be hot enough to evaporate fluids.

Brake fluid- if the car is old enough the steel brake lines may have rusted. The result would be loss of brake pedal firmness and would be obvious...In older cars that had only one master cylinder, not t he dual master cylinder present since 1965...total brake failure would be obvious. Clutch master cylinder fluid - if car has manual transmission this is a possibility and soft or no clutch pedal would be obvious.

Automatic transmission fluid – there are numerous rubber hoses that connect to various vacuum modules on the automatic transmission and this is a good possibility.

Clutch smoke – possibility – if the engine has a very leaky rear main seal on the crank shaft, engine oil could seep and eventually cover the flywheel and pressure plate assembly and get so bad the clutch slips and causes the smoke...engine oil level should be checked..slipping clutch would be obvious.

Antifreeze leak – many rubber hoses conduct the antifreeze from the radiator to the engine block and heater core. A check of the antifreeze fluid level would show this. A blown cylinder head gasket would cause smoke. Possible cracked cylinder head or cracked engine block .but most unlikely. Most common fault is radiator and heater hoses...Use your hand and squeeze the hose with you hand and if your thumb nail pushes in the hose easily, if the hose feels spongy and flimsy...time to change them.

Oil leak from valve covers, intake manifold gaskets- could be and you should be able to see the smoke.
Power steering fluid- you have rubber hoses carrying fluid to the pump and this may leak and smell but usually not mounted in close proximity to exhaust on newer cars..check the fluid level.
Windshield washer fluid- I have seen stranger things but it is a possibility.

Air conditioner could seize and the belts could smoke on a frozen non moving pulley..high pitched noise ( like ex wife complaining about alimony) would be very apparent.

Battery - check to see if batttery acid has leaked due to cracks in battery case..highly unlikely. could happen.

Dead cat in engine room...Once found that a cat had crawled in the engine compartment to stay warm at night. The next morning when I started the car, the engine fan blade caused sever cat-stophic ( sorry ..had to say it) failure of cat brain housing. Hey, I can’t make this stuff up.

I took my car to the shop and the mechanic told me that large volumes of motor oil was leaking into the cylinders and burning.

This explains the oily burning smell and the black smoke coming from the exhaust.

Also, my head gasket was severely cracked.

rangermike, pretty solid explanation. I don't think most of those would cause a significant amount of smoke to rise from the hood like he was saying. While possible, it would be extremely rare, and problems in subsystems including powersteering, clutch and the brakes system would fail long before all that fluid could be released (on a hot manifold).

Chances are likely a major oil leak, or blown head gasket. In less common cases, a ruptured fuel line.

hondaman520 said:
rangermike, pretty solid explanation. I don't think most of those would cause a significant amount of smoke to rise from the hood like he was saying. While possible, it would be extremely rare, and problems in subsystems including powersteering, clutch and the brakes system would fail long before all that fluid could be released (on a hot manifold).

Chances are likely a major oil leak, or blown head gasket. In less common cases, a ruptured fuel line.

Mechanic said that severely damaged head gasket and cracked cylinder was leaking oil into the the combustion chamber as well as onto the hot engine manifold.

If it's that bad, personally I wouldn't bother to repair it. Fit a reconditioned engine. Less labor costs, and less chance of more problems emerging later.

Or if the entire car wasn't worth much (before you blew the engine), consder just getting a new car.

The repair shop might try to persuade you otherwise though, because they like "interesting" jobs to do, to relieve the boredom of doing routine servicing!

AlephZero said:
If it's that bad, personally I wouldn't bother to repair it. Fit a reconditioned engine. Less labor costs, and less chance of more problems emerging later.

Or if the entire car wasn't worth much (before you blew the engine), consder just getting a new car.

The repair shop might try to persuade you otherwise though, because they like "interesting" jobs to do, to relieve the boredom of doing routine servicing!

I'll probably just get a new engine.

1. What could be causing my engine to smoke?

There are a few potential causes for engine smoke, including an oil leak, a damaged head gasket, worn piston rings, or a clogged air filter. It is best to have a mechanic inspect your engine to determine the exact cause.

2. Is it safe to continue driving with a smoking engine?

No, it is not safe to continue driving with a smoking engine. Smoking can be a sign of a serious issue that could lead to engine failure or other problems. It is important to address the issue as soon as possible to prevent further damage.

3. Can I fix a smoking engine myself?

It is not recommended to try and fix a smoking engine yourself unless you have proper training and experience. It is best to have a professional mechanic diagnose and fix the issue to ensure it is properly resolved.

4. How much will it cost to repair a smoking engine?

The cost of repairing a smoking engine will depend on the cause of the smoke and the extent of the damage. It is best to get a quote from a mechanic after they have diagnosed the issue.

5. Can regular maintenance prevent a smoking engine?

Regular maintenance, such as oil changes and air filter replacements, can help prevent a smoking engine. However, if the smoking is caused by a more serious issue, regular maintenance may not be enough to prevent it. It is still important to have your engine inspected regularly by a professional mechanic.