Solving Physics on Own: Horizontal Force for Blocks

In summary, the question asks for the horizontal force needed to keep a large block of mass M stationary while two smaller blocks, m1 and m2, are also stationary relative to M. The solution involves applying Newton's second law of motion and considering the forces on M, m1, and m2. The result is F = (M + m1 + m2) * (m1*g) / (m2). It is important to consider all external forces and the tension in the rope, which is provided by the gravitational force.
Joran Verlaeck
Dear Forum Users,

I am studying physics on my own, i am new to this forum, i am working every example in the book and i have a question. I hope that you are so kind to give me an explanation so that i can continue my chapter exercises.

The question of the book is : What horizontal force must be applied to a large block of mass M shown in Figure P5.67 so that the tan blocks remain stationary relative to M ? Assume all surfaces and the pulley are frictionless. (Notice that the force exerted by the string accelerates M1)

See attachement for picture.

The calculation goes as follows.

M1*g - T = 0 =>
T = M2 * a =>
M1*g = M2 * a => a = (M1*g)/(M2)
F = TotalMass * a => in the book and on the internet the result is
F = (M + M1 + M2) * (M1*g) / (M2)

What i was wondering is if M1 is not connected by the string with M2, and the surface is frictionless, normally only block M would slide together with M1 and M2 would remain stationary and eventually fall off. The tension in the robe is provided by the gravitational force, no gravity
no tension. So in the end result F only needs to accelerate M and M1 and not M2 because that
is accelerated by gravity -> equation a = M1 * G / M2.

So why is the result (M + M1 + M2) * (M1*g) / (M2) and not (M + M1) * (M1*g) / (M2).
Because F is not responsible to give M2 that acceleration just for keeping M relative to M2 in rest.
So they both need the same acceleration.

Can you please help me with this reasoning.
Thx

Jöran

Attachments

• Picture.png
    Picture.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,820
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Jöran! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Joran Verlaeck said:
So why is the result (M + M1 + M2) * (M1*g) / (M2) and not (M + M1) * (M1*g) / (M2).
Because F is not responsible to give M2 that acceleration just for keeping M relative to M2 in rest.

I see what you mean.

But no, for two reasons:

i] suppose the three masses were fixed to each other …

the result would be the same, wouldn't it? :wink:

ii] this is an exercise in applying Newton's second law …

you must always apply it to all the external forces on a particular body (or bodies)

if you apply it to M and M1 combined, then you must include the external force (on M and M1) from the horizontal part of the rope …

(M + M1)a = F - T = F - M2a,

ie (M + M1 + M2)a = F :smile:

Joran Verlaeck said:
Dear Forum Users,

I am studying physics on my own, i am new to this forum, i am working every example in the book and i have a question. I hope that you are so kind to give me an explanation so that i can continue my chapter exercises.

The question of the book is : What horizontal force must be applied to a large block of mass M shown in Figure P5.67 so that the tan blocks remain stationary relative to M ? Assume all surfaces and the pulley are frictionless. (Notice that the force exerted by the string accelerates M1)

See attachement for picture.

The calculation goes as follows.

M1*g - T = 0 =>
T = M2 * a =>
M1*g = M2 * a => a = (M1*g)/(M2)
F = TotalMass * a => in the book and on the internet the result is
F = (M + M1 + M2) * (M1*g) / (M2)

What i was wondering is if M1 is not connected by the string with M2, and the surface is frictionless, normally only block M would slide together with M1 and M2 would remain stationary and eventually fall off. The tension in the robe is provided by the gravitational force, no gravity
no tension. So in the end result F only needs to accelerate M and M1 and not M2 because that
is accelerated by gravity -> equation a = M1 * G / M2.

Can you please help me with this reasoning.
Thx

Jöran
attachment.php?attachmentid=58211&d=1366920100.png

Hello Joran Verlaeck. Welcome to PF !If m1 and m2 are stationary relative M, then they all have the same acceleration, call it a .

So the net force, F, on the system must be such that F = (m1 + m2 + M)a . It's simply the application of Newton's 2ND Law of Motion.

Last edited:
Joran Verlaeck said:
in the end result F only needs to accelerate M and M1 and not M2 because that is accelerated by gravity -> equation a = M1 * G / M2.
F is not responsible to give M2 that acceleration just for keeping M relative to M2 in rest.
T = m1g = m2a. At the pulley, the string exerts a force T vertically and horizontally on M. The horizontal forces on M are therefore F, m1a from contact with m1 and m2a from the pulley.

All of you guys,

Thanks for presenting me the reasoning why this is the case.
After i read the responses i released that i made a mistake by following my reasoning.
I was thinking of the same physics situation only this time m1 rests on the floor, the outcome is like tiny-tim suggested the same. If so M1 feel the normal force and in reality there is really no tension in the robe, but once the object starts moving, and we want to make sure that M2 has no velocity relative to M, the tension in the robe gets m2.a and if a is exactly m1*g/m2 the normal force on m1 is zero. In this case you can see that F must be responsible to the motion of M2 and all the equations remains the same.

Thanks for answering this topic.

1. What is the relationship between horizontal force and acceleration?

The relationship between horizontal force and acceleration is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that as the horizontal force increases, the acceleration of the object will also increase, and vice versa.

2. How do I calculate the horizontal force needed to move a block?

To calculate the horizontal force needed to move a block, you can use the equation F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the block, and a is the desired acceleration. If the block is on a horizontal surface with no friction, the horizontal force needed will be equal to the product of the mass and acceleration.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction refers to the force that must be overcome to set an object in motion on a surface, while kinetic friction refers to the force that acts to resist the motion of an object that is already in motion on a surface. In other words, static friction prevents an object from moving, while kinetic friction slows down the object's movement.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the horizontal force required to move a block?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. It affects the horizontal force required to move a block by increasing or decreasing the amount of static or kinetic friction between the block and the surface. A higher coefficient of friction will require a greater horizontal force to overcome the resistance and move the block.

5. Can multiple forces act on a block moving horizontally?

Yes, multiple forces can act on a block moving horizontally. In fact, the net force on the block will be the sum of all the individual forces acting on it. This means that if there are multiple forces acting in the same direction, their magnitudes will add up to determine the overall horizontal force on the block.