Is RFID Implantation the Next Step in Government Surveillance?

• Thread starter DevilsAvocado
  • Start date
In summary: RFID tags in the personal belongings of every student in grades K-12 in the state of Texas. The tags contain a unique identification number that can be tracked from a computer or handheld reader.In summary, the Texas school system is testing out RFID tags to track the movements of its students.

Are you ready to “Get Chipped”?

• Total voters
DevilsAvocado
Gold Member
Are you ready to “Get Chipped”?

After the latest Snowden/PRISM/NSA turmoil I’ve noticed that some thinks it’s perfectly okay for the government to spy on their citizens, if they catch a terrorist or two in the process. The general motivation seems to be – “I have nothing to hide”.

So, it looks like some accept the loss of privacy in favor of security.

I hate stupid conspiracy theories, nonetheless – one cannot reject reality even if it seems like a “Tin Foil Hat XXL”... and few things are more powerful than fear. The next (natural?) step in government control/security might be Radio-frequency identification (RFID) implanted in humans.

300px-Microchip_rfid_rice.jpg

RFID chip next to a grain of rice

300px-RFID_hand_2.jpg

An RFID microchip implant

I know, it sounds like science fiction/tin foil madness, but lo and behold – FDA has already (2004) approved the use of RFID chips (VeriChip) in humans.

So the question is – Are you ready to “Get Chipped”?

If you need more information; David B. Smith, Sergeant First Class (E-7) in the U.S. Army, has written a paper http://www.myimagehosting.com/u/18183/14602/126820.pdf where most is covered.

Note: There is absolutely no proof or fact saying that this will happen. This is just a poll for what might happen, and your stance on this possible future.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
For certain applications (prisons, high clearance security, medical) I think it's a fabulous idea.

Implants have medical consequences as well as practical problems like easy repair, modification and recharging. Might as well just stick to wearable tags like we have now if it needs to be used. As for the general public getting "chipped" that is up there with conspiracy nonsense. As it stands there are already effective ways for the police to track an individual if needs be (credit card usage, number plate recognition etc) and that's probably going to get easier as time goes on.

Somewhat facetiously though it occurs to me that many people today broadcast their location and activities anyway. Half my facebook feed tends to be covered in "So-and-so checked in here".

So they have me on file for security clearance with a retina scan, fingerprints of all ten fingers as well as photograph and background check. Yet I was taken aback when the fingerprint technology was taking the place of the old style punch card for employee identification at another company premises. Less hassle and automatic.

RFID would also lend itself to similar personnal identification for non-critical purposes, and with an insert under the skin there is the no bother hassle of carrying anything around or of losing your identification. Like any technology there are pros and cons in the application. Presently undecided.

Greg Bernhardt said:
For certain applications (prisons, high clearance security, medical) I think it's a fabulous idea.

Agreed Greg, it’s the perfect application/tool for prison enterprise – that’s exactly why I’m so skeptical about public implementation... :wink:

P.S: Funny joke on FB. :smile:

Intel_Inside_2009.png

Ryan_m_b said:
Implants have medical consequences as well as practical problems like easy repair, modification and recharging. Might as well just stick to wearable tags like we have now if it needs to be used.

Agreed.

As for the general public getting "chipped" that is up there with conspiracy nonsense.

Agreed, but what if it starts with prison... and then maybe medical... and then when one day when you apply for a new job you get the question:

Are you "chipped"?
No...
Sorry, our healthcare insurance requires RFID to work smoothly. Have a nice day!

As it stands there are already effective ways for the police to track an individual if needs be (credit card usage, number plate recognition etc) and that's probably going to get easier as time goes on.

Agreed.

Somewhat facetiously though it occurs to me that many people today broadcast their location and activities anyway. Half my facebook feed tends to be covered in "So-and-so checked in here".

Yeah, and I’m only waiting for the mandatory “FB Live Bedroom Webcam”... :smile:

It won't matter if a person is "chipped" or not. Technology marches on and there are more and more devices that will be recording your every move.

Take for example the wearable medical devices that are coming out. Some are designed for high risk patients and others for long term use to detect anomalies. Next up are general purpose monitors that are part of normal clothing for people to track exercise. But, what good are the clothes medically if it doesn't know that you are wearing them instead of someone else? Knowing that will be seen as necessary. Knowing exactly where you are isn't much of a stretch from there.

Companies will exploit the data.

Borg said:
It won't matter if a person is "chipped" or not. Technology marches on and there are more and more devices that will be recording your every move.

QUOTE]

Just do a google on Texas schools and RFID.
( RFID tags attached to the school identification )
A pilot project, which the schools like, since it keeps them abreast of school attendance, which in turn translates into more funds based on student population.

It's just another device waiting to be exploited and eve will soon rise and control alice and bob. I'm not a fan of such devices until true security can exist.. which is a long ways away.. Or even if that could happen I'm sure lobbyist will claim security is to expensive--which it is but is necessary unless we want to allow for eve to rise up and control the world. However.. sadly the government has the power to control already.. I was very interested in Neural Engineering and brain interface and poked around at it for about a year before discovering all the research exisiting and what can actually be done.. scary.. Let's work on security first!

There would be insurmountable resistance to this idea. I imagine it would cause a sort of Crusade, as it would be seen as the "Mark of the Beast." Many Christians would assume they were living through the apocalypse, and whatever leader was pushing the idea would be the Anti-Christ, LOL. I live in a school district using the pilot RFID card program, and there are already families calling the card the mark of the beast.

As for myself, I see no reason to be "chipped." RFID cards, fingerprints, retina scans, facial/voice recognition, and all that kind of stuff should suffice. I could maybe see it being beneficial in prisons because prisoners can't be expected to comply with carrying their cards around everywhere. But, some prisoners would likely try to cut them out anyways.

Now, if someone made a co-processor chip that would allow me to do things like invert large matrices in my head, I'd be all for it :)

1. What is the purpose of getting chipped?

The purpose of getting chipped is to have a small microchip implanted under your skin that can store and transmit information, such as identification and medical records.

2. Is it safe to get chipped?

The safety of getting chipped depends on the type of chip and the process used for implantation. Generally, the procedure is considered safe with minimal risks, but it is important to thoroughly research the chip and the provider before making a decision.

3. How does the chip work?

The chip works by using radio frequency identification (RFID) technology to communicate with external devices. It contains a unique identification number that can be read by scanners, allowing for quick and accurate identification of the individual.

4. Can the chip be removed?

Yes, the chip can be removed through a minor surgical procedure. However, it is important to note that the removal process may cause some discomfort and potential scarring.

5. Are there any potential privacy concerns with getting chipped?

There are potential privacy concerns with getting chipped, as the chip can store personal information that can be accessed by others. It is important to carefully consider the potential risks and weigh them against the potential benefits before deciding to get chipped.

Back