Register to reply

How to extract bubbles gas from gel(Super Absorbent Polymer)

by kevin_tee
Tags: absorbent, bubbles, extract, gelsuper, polymer
Share this thread:
kevin_tee
Dec21-13, 09:34 AM
P: 56
I have been thinking to extract gases from SAP (the gel is super absorbent polymer(sodium polyacrylate)). The gases are trapped inside the gel in form of bubbles gas. I am thinking of using salt to turn it back to liquid or using vacuum pump to extract gas out. Using salt might be the best way but it contaminated the SAP. Do anybody have any suggestion? Thank very much.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Marine pest provides advances in maritime anti-fouling and biomedicine
Nature inspires a greener way to make colorful plastics
New catalyst converts carbon dioxide to fuel
dauto
Dec21-13, 10:17 AM
Thanks
P: 1,948
Have you tried the vacuum pump on the unsalted gel? what happened?
Chestermiller
Dec21-13, 11:41 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 5,063
Quote Quote by kevin_tee View Post
I have been thinking to extract gases from SAP (the gel is super absorbent polymer(sodium polyacrylate)). The gases are trapped inside the gel in form of bubbles gas. I am thinking of using salt to turn it back to liquid or using vacuum pump to extract gas out. Using salt might be the best way but it contaminated the SAP. Do anybody have any suggestion? Thank very much.
How sure are you that the gel is saturated by the gas throughout? If it isn't, then perhaps you can pressurize the gel and allow enough time for the gas to dissolve and diffuse into unsatruated regions of the gel.

kevin_tee
Dec21-13, 07:26 PM
P: 56
How to extract bubbles gas from gel(Super Absorbent Polymer)

Thanks for answering, but I don't need to saturate the gel, I just need to extract the gas, so I think liquefy it would be the best way.

Register to reply