Solve Edgar's Circuit Problem - Get Started Now!

• Thread starter Edgar White
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help in finding the voltage between two points in a circuit and getting various suggestions on how to approach the problem. Suggestions include simplifying the circuit, using simultaneous equations, and using Thevinin's technique. A link to a tutorial on DC network analysis techniques is also provided.
Edgar White
Hi,

I have this circuit (see attached file) and I'm trying to find the voltage between the two red points. I really don't know where to start.. could anyone help me out and get me started ?

Thanks a lot !
- Edgar

Attachments

• circuit.JPG
    circuit.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 465
Engineering news on Phys.org
Find the currents through all the branches.

Simplify the circuit first if possible, like look at R5 and R6 and think about ways to simplify the combination of them that won't affect the voltages that you are trying to calculate.

Then just write a set of simultaneous equations that express how the currents flow through the different legs of the circuit, and solve for the two node voltages marked in red. Like, label the circuit with I1 going from the + (right) of the power supply, through the leg with R3, R4, R1. Label I2 as the current through the circuit leg through R2, R(combo), R7, R1. Then write equations for each node in the circuit, with the sum of all currents entering a node = 0. Solve away...

Reply to berkeman

thanks for your help, but that doesn't help much, you really didn't go in depth at all. i need more information

yea... and? need more info!

Edgar, I did it in grade 10 in Yugoslavia some time ago and I still remember it a bit; you have to simplify it=combine those rezistors; example from 4 make 2, from 2 make 1 etc. To that you should google parallel and series circuits and you will be surprised how simple and interesting it is. Very simple. But, you have to do a bit of reading. Good luck.

Edgar White do you know of any DC network analysis techniques? For example using Mesh Analysis. This method involves solving a system of equations (simultaneous equations) which I'm sure you can solve right?

It seems that your problem is not knowing the methods involved in circuit analysis. I'll give you a very good link to tutorial on some DC network analysis techniques. I do encourage you to read each of the discussed techniques and apply the one that (most easily) fits this situation.

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/DC/DC_10.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/DC/DC_7.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Edgar White said:
Hi,
I have this circuit (see attached file) and I'm trying to find the voltage between the two red points. I really don't know where to start.. could anyone help me out and get me started ?
Thanks a lot !
- Edgar

Hi Edgar White :

to find the voltage between the red points, use Thevinin's technique; by finding first the (Rth), then I short-circuit..

Edgar White said:
Hi,
Thanks a lot !
- Edgar
Hi Edgar White :
to find the voltage between the red points, use Thevinin's technique; by finding first the (Rth), then I short-circuit..

1. How do I solve Edgar's Circuit Problem?

To solve Edgar's Circuit Problem, you should start by clearly understanding the problem and identifying all the given information. Then, use the fundamental principles of circuit analysis, such as Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws, to analyze the circuit and determine the values of unknown quantities. Finally, use any necessary calculations or simulation tools to verify your solution.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving Edgar's Circuit Problem?

The key concepts involved in solving Edgar's Circuit Problem include circuit analysis techniques, such as Kirchhoff's Laws and Ohm's Law, as well as understanding the fundamental properties of different circuit elements, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. It is also important to have a good understanding of series and parallel circuits and how to solve them.

3. Can I use any software or tools to solve Edgar's Circuit Problem?

Yes, you can use various software and tools to solve Edgar's Circuit Problem, such as circuit simulation software like LTspice or MATLAB, or online circuit analysis tools. However, it is important to note that these tools should be used as a supplement to your own understanding and analysis of the problem.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving Edgar's Circuit Problem?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving Edgar's Circuit Problem include not carefully identifying and labeling all the given information, not applying the correct circuit analysis techniques, and not double-checking your calculations or simulation results. It is also important to be aware of any simplifying assumptions and their potential impact on the accuracy of your solution.

5. How can I check if my solution to Edgar's Circuit Problem is correct?

There are a few ways to check if your solution to Edgar's Circuit Problem is correct. You can compare your results to those of other students or professionals, use a different set of circuit analysis techniques to solve the problem, or use simulations to verify your solution. Additionally, you can check if your solution satisfies all the given constraints and is physically reasonable.