Exterior Algebra Tutorials - Differentials & Wedge Products

In summary, exterior algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the algebraic structures called exterior algebras. It is used to study geometric properties of vector spaces and their transformations. Differentials in exterior algebra represent the derivative of a multivariable function and are calculated using the wedge product of vectors. The wedge product is an operation that combines two vectors to create a new vector with properties that reflect their geometrical relationship. It is used to represent the cross product in higher-dimensional spaces. Exterior algebra is also used in physics to study geometric properties of physical systems and in applications such as differential geometry, robotics, computer graphics, and computer vision.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Does anyone have any good refreshers/tutorials for exterior algebra? I need to reacquaint myself with differentials and wedge products specifically. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool. I'll look through it tonight. It appears to go into a lot of different threads. Thanks for the tip!

Ah robphy, your post has brought on the pangs of guilt in me for not following through with my pretty little thread. I'll have to get my next set of notes in preparation post haste!

What is exterior algebra?

Exterior algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the algebraic structures called exterior algebras, which are used to study geometric properties of vector spaces and their transformations.

What are differentials in exterior algebra?

In exterior algebra, differentials are used to represent the derivative of a multivariable function. They are represented by the wedge product of vectors and are used to calculate the change in a function with respect to each variable.

What is the wedge product in exterior algebra?

The wedge product is an operation in exterior algebra that combines two vectors to create a new vector with properties that reflect the geometrical relationship between the two original vectors. It is used to represent the cross product in higher-dimensional spaces.

How is exterior algebra used in physics?

Exterior algebra is used in physics to study geometric properties of physical systems, such as those in electromagnetism and general relativity. It is also used in quantum mechanics to represent the spin of particles.

What are some applications of exterior algebra?

Exterior algebra has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Some examples include differential geometry, robotics, computer graphics, and computer vision.